PDA

View Full Version : A new MG??

DNK
07-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Here is anews story on NPR about China buying the MG factory tooling and all and is going to manufacture the MG in its country. What do you think og that MG fans

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5554149
don

77_MG_Midget
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Here's an article that ran in the Houston Chronical about the MG plant to be built in Ardmore, OK.

https://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4043370.html

Andrew Mace
07-14-2006, 01:24 PM
I'll readily concede that the MG name might still have a good chance to succeed again in the US. Basically, though, I'll believe this when I see the cars offloaded from transporters into local dealer lots.

From the enthusiasts' point of view, it might be a hard sell, since this new company has virtually no "track record" in the US or much of anywhere else outside China. From the general public's point of view, it will likely, at the very least, take a marketing/advertising campaign at least as good as that BMW put forth for the new Mini especially in the US. Amongst car folk like us, the Mini was always iconic. To most of the US, though, where only about 10,000 Minis were sold 1960-67 (we got more Triumph Heralds, for goodness sake!), there wasn't much name recognition to build on.

We'll see. I'm a bit bothered by some reports that the company seems to want to make the marque rather more upscale and not the "middle class" or even "every man" sports car it was in its heyday. Come up with a reasonably priced and capable competitor for the Miata and Solstice, and you could have something. Go much further upmarket, and it might be much more difficult.

4aKen
07-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Interesting, but I like Triumphs.

TRTEL
07-14-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm apprehensive about it for all the above mentioned reasons. Hope it works if only to take the sting out of recent plant closures here in the state (GM and Dayton tire = 4000+ jobs). The MG facility is supposedly going to create around 500+ jobs. Better than nothing.
Tom Lains
TS8651
TS58107

TNTriumph
07-14-2006, 08:41 PM
i heard some where that they where going to keep the factory in england.