PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Wheel studs

SBooth
07-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Trying to get a '65 TR4A back on the road after the PO let it sit for 18 yrs ! Other than not being able to get it started (carb rebuild in the future), one of the wheel studs was broken off. Evidently had one welded in and that broke.
I've ground off the weld, but the threads are shot. I thought I saw a post about using a std. press fit American stud as a replacement, but can't find it now.
Thanks for your help.

PeterK
07-12-2006, 07:41 AM
I changed out my rear studs to use 80s vintage Chevy studs. It requires that you remove the studs by 1) grinding the peened over part on the back (that might be what you ground off already ), then 2) removing the original stud by unscrewing it. Then 3) drill out the hole to fit the knurl on the Chevy stud (It needs around a .460" hole, closest drill I have is 29/64=.4531") and press in the new stud. The Chevy stud has 7/16" thread and is 1-3/4" long so your lug nuts will still fit. Part number I used is Dorman 610-259.

I found that even after grinding off the peen, it was dificult to unscrew the old stud and I used a sprial bolt remover on and impact wrench to back them out..

SBooth
07-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks !
Stud was broked off inside hole. After I ground off weld,
I was able to punch out the remaining part of the stud.
All I have to do now is drill out hole and press in new Chevy stud.