PDA

View Full Version : Draining Transmission

TNTriumph
07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
I was reading threw my tr3 books to see what the maintance was on the transmission. Iam pretty the oil in the transmission has never been changed and there is a slow leak around the drain plug. I was noticing that it doesn't look to hard to change the oil, but in the book it says to just top it off, and not to drain it unless the transmission is being overhauld. My question is I need to change my drain plug in the trany and I thought i would drain it at the same time would it hurt it if I did drain it and put new oil in it. Thanks guys

martx-5
07-09-2006, 09:56 AM
No problem draining the trans. Just make sure you put the correct oil back in. It requires GL4 because of the brass synchros. Read this thread, (https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=212732&Searchp age=1&Main=211907&Words=gl4&topic=&Search=true#Pos t212732) as there is some good info on the proper oils to use.

Geo Hahn
07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
A synthetic such as RedLine is also an alternative. Some feel it is too slippery but I have used it in both my TRs for many years w/o problem or complaint.

I see your TR3A is a '59 which means that refilling may either be a via the dip-stick opening on the top of the gearbox case on the passenger side (remove rubber grommet in tunnel) or thru removel of a fill plug (just like the drain plug) on the side (drivers side) of the gearbox. Mid-1959 was the change point.

I wrap teflon tape on the threads of both plugs and resist the urge to overtighten then. Use an 8-point socket or better yet a purpose-made square-hole wrench to avoid rounding off the plug. If the old one looks battered, new ones are about 89 cents.

LastDeadLast
07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Another vote for Redline MTL. Smooth as silk, even when the gearbox is cold.

TNTriumph
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Is there a special type of redline to use. Also can I get it at a local auto parts store. Thanks guys for all the help

BobSands
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey TNTriumph.... Redline is pretty elusive around here, but if you look at their website, you can enter your zip, and they'll give you the local dealer. I've also had good luck finding it at race shops.
I just looked at the thread referenced, and Alan Myers has some valid concerns about LONGTERM wear. I don't know...used MTL in my OD Spitfire with no ill effects, but only had it for a couple of years.
Good Luck Bob

TNTriumph
07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I just ordered som GL4 form the roadster factory it was a pretty good deal. I looked around at autosone and places like that and I had no luck.