PDA

View Full Version : New 74 Midget

Baz
07-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Just got a 74 midget, has a few unnecessary needs under the hood and as a noob to MGs (plenty of mini's) I don't want to undertake some of the projects without some knowledge from those who know better. I appreciate any help and advice in advance!
Short term goals: Remove the heater in its entirety, I'll never use it in winter, and would hate to rely on it heating if I did, I need some room under the hood and that and II seem like good ways to go.
II: And this screas me a little, A Weber conversion. I'm looking at 32s not 40s.
III 5 speed box and a pointless dizzy.

It's a great looking car, it has a tiny bit of hesitation, but nothing serious, but it is fun, if the wife thinks it's fun, then I'm exempt from the dog house if I spend night after night in the garage, right?

Steve
07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the BCF! You'll find the help you need sooner or later, why not post your questions on the Spridgets forum? That way you will come to the attention of fellow owners.

Sounds like a nice little toy you have. From the comment that you have had plenty of Minis, and your avatar, am I to understand that you are a transplant from Wales?

Baz
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Cheers Steve. An ex-pat Welshman yes, and I'll get those questions posted so that (wife permitting) I can get some mods done.
Nice to be among enthusiasts I can learn from.

Steve
07-01-2006, 09:55 AM
You're in the right place. There will be guys who know. A few have taken out their heaters for racing, and you know that some will have done Webers.

I'm a transplanted Brit from the West Midlands (but don't hold that against me). Whereabouts in Wales are you from? I know it well, and I love that part of the world.

Baz
07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Know WM very well, Mum from Selly Oak, Dad from Sutton Coldfield. My MG love started in Selly Oak when a friend of mine discovered his deceased father left him a 33 J2 in immaculate condition. I'm from a very small village near Barmouth.
I'll stick my neck out....A Villa fan too! Are you watching this game?

tony barnhill
07-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Welocme - I also have a '74 Midget...good little car &, believe it or not, the heater works great!

aeronca65t
07-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Welcome Baz!
Another Spridget owner here (and born in the UK as well....but a loooong time ago!)

One point: the twin SU carbs are not bad on these cars. It's just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't see a sidedraft Weber as an improvement.
The 5 speed Datsun box is a good thing if you intend to do more hiway cruising but the stock 4-speed "ribcage" trans is a treat for fast shifting.
Solid state ignition (Pertronix) has made my car car run much better; a real plus!
G'luck whatever you choose to do!

Bugeye58
07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Welcome aboard, Baz. Another long time Spridget owner here, everything from a '61 to a '74. I agree with Nial on the SU's. I've had Webers, but all mine right now are equipped with the SU setup.
I ran both a '63 and a '72 year round in Michigan,, and thought the heater was sufficient. Remember, that if you ditch it, you also lose the defrosters.
Jeff

Baz
07-02-2006, 09:17 AM
The main reason for the webers is more room under the bonnet than any performance practicality, those SUs take up so much space that my inexperienced fingers need to get around. The heater too is a cumbersome beast, I don't intend to drive it year round, they salt the road too often here in winter.
After nearly two weeks of ownership, just discovered the stop-tail-turn lamps are all wired up wrong. I should have listened to the wife when she asked why my brake lights were amber!
Datsun box sounds good, 210? 280?

PS. It just struck me how much this will all cost, why doesn't it bother me?