PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Goop

jerrybny
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Has anyone used permatex gasket maker on the water pump instead of a paper gasket. If so what type did you use and does it hold up? Thanks

milemarker60
06-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I was tipped off to a gasket maker made and sold only through Caterpillar dealers that far outperforms anything I have ever used (believe it or not, it's not yellow, but blue). This is not silicone and never hardens and if you have to get back inside of the cover/part again it wipes right off with MEK or the like. Truthfully, I cannot remember the last time I have used any paper gaskets. I've tried permatex, etc. and have never had the consistent reliable results as that of the Caterpillar stuff. It is quite pricey @ about $16 for a fairly small tube. One tube is enough for a complete engine, trans and diff overhaul. Keep in mind, this is not going to take place of any thick cork gaskets but works great in place of the thin ones.

DougF
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Permatex Right Stuff is a rubber based gasket maker. Works with all fluids but gasoline. Seals instantly, so as soon as you have it bolted back together, you are ready to go. Allows for a decent work time. Can be purchased at many auto parts stores.

vettedog72
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
What ever choice you make, use some on the bolts, close to the bolt heads.