PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Soft top

TR674
06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
My soft top frame (front edge) on my TR6 is still proud of the 'turtle deck' by about 8 inches when folded down. It will not fold down completely. Would the frame be slightly bent, or is it likely that the previous owner fitted a non TR6 frame at some point? Is there a serial number or some way of checking the frame is actually for a TR6?

Simon TR4a
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Possibly it is bent or binding somewhere. You often have to go from side to side gently persuading it to get into position.
Make sure the top material is well out of the way (and the window ) so you don't "scissor" it as you fold the top.
Have you only recently put the top and frame back on? If so perhaps it got bent in storage or is not correctly mounted. Do NOT use force.
Simon.

ScottTR6
06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I replaced my soft top on my 74 a few years back, I recall it taking a couple of weeks to settle down. A good idea is to leave it in the sun to soften, again ensuring it is folding safely with no "kinks"

R6MGS
06-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Another Ontario member! Welcome Scott!

Brosky
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't wish to insult you, but are you folding it down properly? By that, I mean are you releasing the top at the front pull downs, unzipping the rear window, loosening the Velcro on the side rails, pulling out the rear side windows and the remainder of the top and allowing the frame and top to fold in together without binding the actual top between the rails of the frame?

I've seen many people just release the locks and fold it down and that is usually the result, along with pinched and scratched glasses. No malice intended.

TR674
06-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Brosky, I fold it as you describe but I don't unzip the rear window. The passenger side of the frame binds (there is paint scrapes on the frame). I'll fold it down and take some pics. No malice taken. The soft top was removed from the car by the previous owner as he used the car for racing. I suspect it had car parts resting on it for 8 years or so.
P.S. ScottTR6, which day of the year do you get sun in Canada???(only joking!)

Brosky
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Try unzipping the rear window to see if that gives you a bit more drop in the back end. This should allow a few more inches of relief compared to having it pulled tight when zippered closed.

Perhaps you do have a bent or misaligned frame, but that should probably keep one side higher than the other. Maybe...maybe not. I could be wrong on that guess.

Pics would be nice to help diagnose this issue.