PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 Solenoid Valve

RSMTR8
06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Can any one tell me exactly what the Idle-By-Pass Solenoid does? I think mine might be bad as it is making a clicking noise when I turn the key to start the car? So my question is what does it do, and what would be the symptoms if it was not working properly?!

Thanks!

Rod
rsm@loumarks.com

philman
06-25-2006, 11:51 PM
doesn't that have something to do with air conditioning?

RSMTR8
06-26-2006, 09:21 AM
No, can't this car does not have A/C, never did.

Rod

Mickey Richaud
06-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Rod -

Seems to me it has something to do with startup - may have something to do with increasing air to match choke operation.

I noticed that yours is an '80 model - is it a California car, or an early FI?

Also, did you try a google search? You might find a generic definition there.

Mickey

Flinkly
06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
heh, i read about it last night in my gt6 manual. if it's the right solenoid...wait, nevermind. i'm thinking of the solenoid that kills the engine so it doesn't try to keep running after you turn the car off. it runs off the ignition switch and oil pressure, and cuts off the fuel supply so it can't keep running. not what your looking for though.

RSMTR8
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
No, It has the SU Carbs on it, not FI.

Thanks!

RSMTR8
06-29-2006, 09:51 AM
It is the valve located near the fire wall,below the air scoop,a little more toward the passenger side, maybe it is not an Idle-By-Pass Solenoid, maybe it is something else? I need help IDing the piece. Thanks!

Rod
rsm@loumarks.com

Mickey Richaud
06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Rod -

I have a factory shop manual at home, and will check it this afternoon. Also, I picked up the TR8 last week, and it's at home, so I can take a look at it. PM or email me your phone number and I'll call you later.

Mickey