PDA

View Full Version : Noisy door checks - any fix known?

Brosky
06-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I had both of my door checks replaced when the paint work was done and they are both very noisy. Both crack loudly when opening and closing the doors past the check point.

Originally, only my drivers door did it and I thought it was worn out, but now with the new ones installed they both do it. And I did have the new rivets installed also. Those rivets are Big Mommas!

I've tried all kinds of grease, but nothing helps.

06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey Paul,
At least you know they are working!

Bill

Brosky
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
So does everyone within 50 yards who sees (or rather hears) me get out of the car. Being 6' tall and weighing 200 lbs., I can't exactly slither out of the car like some starved model. I need all of the door opening that I can get!!

06-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Dang, Paul, you must be my twin! I too am 6' and 200(+)lbs. Those suckers click with a vengeance. I put the rivets in and let gravity hold them rather than put em in permanently. Haven't fallen out yet. I have tried every lubricant known and they still click . C'est La Vie.

Bill

Don Elliott
06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
It's very hard to reproduce that original sound in a restored TR. Keep it that way. You won't lose any points at a judged concours and it may just be the difference you need to win.

Brosky
06-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Bill, with any kind of luck on your part, we're not twins. Ha-ha! I need to lose a few, but then the pounds are all bought and paid for like the TR, so I might as well enjoy them!

Don, I guess it's not a big deal about the door check noise, it just kind of annoys me. Too many years working on those really quiet cars.