PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6 + carbs

pei
06-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi All,
I am having trouble getting my carbs working properly. I have a miss in the 2000 - 3000 RPM range. I have to run the choke open a little to keep the engine revs up. If I push the choke in fully, the engine will bog and then come back to proper revs. It has new plugs, points, wires, rotor and I have had the carbs rebuilt,apart and back together twice to clean the bowls. The last time, there was a whitish residue like old milk inside. The engine seems to run on all six and then miss and then clear itself and run on six again. It starts easily and drives, but is not smooth. Any ideas?
Thanks
Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

vettedog72
06-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Do you have the proper amout of oil in the dampers?

pei
06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
The oil level seems fine in the dampers.

Alan_Myers
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi Joe,

Have you checked the fuel pump is giving good pressure and the fuel system/any filters are clean and clearr?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trrdster2000
06-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Old gas will do it, if you only have a couple of gallons in the tank, try to add some new high test to it and see if that helps. The GT6+ was designed to run on 100 octane. Wayne

BobSands
06-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Joe,...check the points,rotor, and timing first. It's easy, and almost always cures my "carb" problems.
Take care Bob

pei
06-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tips all,
The fuel filter, gas and air filters are all new, as well as the points, hot plugs, rotor. I just installed a new timing chain and gears. I have an aftermarket electric fuel pump, I will check the pressure, but it worked fine before the carbs were rebuilt. It is a 1970, so it has the pollution control carbs. There are not many adjustments on them. I will add some high test fuel and check the timing again.
Joe

Triumph_blue
06-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Joe,
Just a thought, you mentioned the electric fuel pump installation. With the addition of Ethanol to our gasoline, in time it could cause a failure of the pump by attacking the plastic impellor. The Ethanol has a tendency to loosen the gunk in the fuel tank and send it through the system. It is also a good idea to keep an eye on your fuel filter and change it as part or your regular maintenance.
Frank