PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3A pedal system

Tinkerman
06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi All:
Recently I took my pedal assembly apart, bead blasted it installed new bushings painted it all up put new return springs on it. Gosh its purty, but stiff! I said, Ahaa! didn't get the bushes reamed, took it to my friendly machine shop and he played with it for a couple of weeks, bushes didn't need reaming, they were fine. He piddled with it and now one peddle is fine but still have one that will not return to the normal unloaded position.
I would certainly welcome any thoughts or ideas that I might try. It is not installed in the car.

Thanks, Tinkerman

Banjo
06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Hmmm. I have the pedal system ready to be blasted from my TR2, but that's one of the things that makes me think that this was a low milage car. The bushings are fine. So all I have to do is blast and paint them.
Maybe a piece of emery cloth or some valve grind compound to work out the sticky spot. Other than that I'm not much help.

Harry_Ward
06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
I pulled my pedal assy but did not have to replace the bushings I had rust build up on the shaft so I broke out the emory cloth and removed all the rust and crud built up into the bushings and the pedal assy shaft ends. I think I just sanded the entire shaft and then coated it with that nice silver colored never sieze stuff that never comes off your hands. Maybe your problem is the paint. I also kind of remember (think) the bolts have to bottom out without squeezing the pedals to the shaft so tightly that they affect each others free travel. In other words when I depressed the brake pedal the clutch pedal went down its free travel length and both pedals were somewhat connected due to friction (rust). This was fun in traffic and I got real good at working both sides of the pedals. Anyway I think you need to lube it up and check the end play of the shaft to pedal bolts.

Harry

Harry_Ward
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, it might also be the paint on both sides of the pedals hole where the shaft goes through causing the bolt to bottom out to tight or creates friction. I put never sieze on these areas as well.

Tinkerman
06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Harry. All of the paint is off where it would have caused a problem we didn't think of the bolts though, and that may just do the trick.
I use Copper Ease, turns my fingers copper instead of silver and has the staying power of a head cold.
Cheers, Tinkerman