View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire distributor questions

06-15-2006, 07:56 AM

I recently discovered the distributor in our '79 Spitfire is badly worn. The shaft has a ton of play in it. So... we need a new one.

However, here's where it gets complicated (or seems so).

The dizzy on the car appears to be the original Lucas EID that has been modified to use an Allison EI system. The Allison system appears to be fine (still runs the engine dispite a 1/16" of play in the shaft). Howver, I cant seem to find a replacement for the Lucas anywhere.

SpitBits sells a replacement Lucas dizzy, but it's points and I don't think the Allison set-up will retrofit a points dizzy.

BPNW sells a points dizzy or a Pertronix dizzy for a few $ more.

VB only appears to sell the dualpoints Mallory set-up.

...and I can never find anything in the Rooster Factory's online catalog... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Opinions? Additional options?


06-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I have one of BPNW distributors with the Pertronix electronic ignition in our Spitfire 1500 powered Herald and I've been happy so far.

06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
IIRC, Most folks say the Lucas dizzy is better than the Delco unit and that parts may be available for the lucas (ie the bushing). You should be able to buy a Pertronix Ignitor for any Spitfire distributor.

06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
My GT6 has the Delco dizzy and it was a little harder finding parts for it. There should be lots of Lucas parts available so if you're considering a swap I'd stay with Lucas.

I've never worked on a 1500. The records I have show most used the Lucas 45DE4 until 1982. The 45 series with points was used on a multitude of LBCs and you should be able to pick up a good-used one off eBay and fit the Pertronix kit if you're considering piecing together a solution. Shop around on the Pertronix. So far I've always found the best prices at Retro-Rockets.

06-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting. Where does one find parts to rebuild the Lucas? So far I've found nothing except for bsic tune-up parts, EI conversions, and complete units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

06-15-2006, 12:12 PM
My appologies, I didn't mean you could call VB or TRF and buy new parts. The parts usually come from derelict/used dizzys. Some parts are available as NOS off eBay and/or from the U.K. There are a lot more Lucas dizzys out there to donate shafts, housings, etc.