PDA

View Full Version : Seat skins

grossgo
06-11-2006, 06:16 AM
Has anyone ever installed "old" seat skins over new seat foam? Is there a trick to getting the skin to conform to the new foam? The inside of the skin seems to "catch" on the foam and doesn't want to conform. I wondered if using talcum powder or maybe a silicon spray would make them slide on the foam easier. Anyone have suggestions? New swear words don't count as a suggestion......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Thanks, GT

Mickey Richaud
06-11-2006, 06:23 AM
Just finished putting my TR8 seats together - new foam and new covers. The suggestion was to take some polyethylene sheet (plastic garbage bag), and tape it to the foam. The covers slip over much more easily.

Mickey

Paul Johnson
06-11-2006, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just finished putting my TR8 seats together - new foam and new covers. The suggestion was to take some polyethylene sheet (plastic garbage bag), and tape it to the foam. The covers slip over much more easily.

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]
. . . but rather than tape the garbage bags, install them from the bottom up. Then once the new covers are in place, you can slide the bags out.

grossgo
06-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Good ideas, guys.
Thanks! GT

PeterK
06-11-2006, 08:23 AM
use dry cleaner bags over the foam. thinest and slick so it easy to remove afer the cover is on.

tomshobby
06-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I replaced the foam in the seats and head rests of my 76 TR6 this spring.

The covers were in good condition and unless I do a complete restoration, they are as good as the rest of the car. There is some rust stain on the passenger seat from the head rest plate. I could not get it all out.

The worst part of doing the job was picking off as much of the glued on foam as I could. My fingers were raw for weeks.

Putting it back together was not difficult. I used 3M general purpose spray adhesive every place that was glued originally. And on my fingers!

When stretching and gluing some of the places I used small vice grips to keep the material in position while the glue set up.

https://www.smithtr6.com/images/TR6_seats.JPG