PDA

View Full Version : my new favorite tool ... and more

PeterK
06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
after reading a post about using a slide hammer to remove the rear seal, i picked one up and used it to replace the rear seal on the 3a. THANK YOU to whoever posted this tip. buy one, well worth the $30 price.

when i drained the diff (the 3a has a drain plug!), there was about twice the 1-1/2 pint capacity fluid. when i refilled, i still pushed in almost a full quart but should be ok.

anyway, while i was under the car, i used the slide hammer to hammer down the edges of the frame where nearly 50 years of road debris and jacking had bent up the lip. made it real easy, and now the frame edges are nice and straight. helps to have a lift, lucky me!

and yesterday, my uncle called and offered me my grandfather's 9" southbend metal lathe for free. it's an oldie but goodie and i can't wait to start making parts.

piman
06-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Hello Peter,

one little point, an american quart is smaller than a U.K. quart by about a fifth. U.S. gallon = 16 fluid ounces, U.K. gallon = 20 fluid ounces, so our cars will do more to the gallon than yours also :-)

Alec

DNK
06-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Alec- I didn't know thanks for the info

tomshobby
06-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Peter, I used to teach part time in the machine tool program at the local vocational college. There was an old South Bend with a flat belt drive. I used to make every student learn to use it just to say they ran one. Kind of like driving a collector car even though many if not most of them missed the point. Excellent tool, enjoy!

Harry_Ward
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Alec and Peter K,

U.S. Gallon = 128 fluid ounces
U.S. Quart = 32 fluid ounces
U.S. Pint = 16 fluid ounces
1-Can of Budweiser = 12 ounces
1-pint of Ale after heat expansion = 20 ounces?
Rear Axle capacity 1 1/2 pints .85 litres from dry (A-OK little less than quart}

Harry Ward, Connecticut

Tinkerman
06-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Peter:
Wow a South Bend Lathe! First lathe I ever owned was a South Bend. Marvelous machine tool. You are so fortunate to get it! Enjoy it , even if all you do is make piles of metal shavindgs.
Regards, Tinkerman

PeterK
06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I've made piles of the most exotic wood shavings for years, now I get to make metal and plastic too! Whoopeeeee!!