PDA

View Full Version : Solved TR 3 tuning problem



Camping57
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
All spring my TR 3 has been running terribly: missing, backfiring stumbling... I tried everything and it only got worse.
Last night I started at the beginning and put every setting back to the initial starting points: static timing, throttle stops, adjusting nuts..etc. Once I got done with that I found out that I had managed to get one carb almost full rich and the other full lean. The two were fighting, trying to get a proper mixture and it was pretty ugly.
I was able to get them balanced and then start working on idle speed, mixture and timing. All in all it took about 3 hours from when I started till I got a pretty good state of tune.
What a relief to have the car running well again! I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong.

The moral of the story is that you may need to back to the very beginning and start from the ground up when you have made a lot of changes. What got me in trouble was to many sessions where I would tweak one adjustment and then someting else. In the end I had everything out of adjustment and they were all trying to compensate for some other misadjustment of some other component. It was much faster to go back to the baseline and start from there.

Dick

aeronca65t
06-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Absolutely!
My brother's Midget had the SU jet nuts all messed up (previous owner). One was almost all the way in and the other was almost falling out.
There's no use in making other adjustments until the basics are squared away.

sammyb
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Yup -- my SUs were totally worn with cork washers and rubber parts just completely swollen. I decided to have the local SU expert tear into them and set them up perfectly just once (before I screw them up sometime in the future!!!)