PDA

View Full Version : Help on Leaf Spring

simpzimmer
06-06-2006, 06:46 PM
O.K. I decided to redo my leaf spring. I followed the manual to a T. I've taken all bolts and nuts off. Now I cannot get the spring out of the car. I've pried and pried but cannot get the thing out. Is there a trick to this? Am I doing something wrong. It's getting dark...any help...please...

Banjo
06-06-2006, 08:54 PM
probably gonna come down to using heat. the metal sleeve in the center of the bushing fuses itsself to the stud on the frame. It usually takes a torch to get it loose.
Or a lot of PB Blaster and patients. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

frankenstang57
06-07-2006, 08:29 AM
It's been a while since I did one, so here goes. Can you put a jack under one of the ends of the spring, jack it up, and use the weigh of the car to break it loose?

Andrew Mace
06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Spitfire, right? There's not much holding the spring down. At worst, you may have to physically remove the four studs atop the differential...after which it should pretty much "slide" out either side.

frankenstang57
06-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I think you're right Andy. As I recall I could not get the spring out of the car with them installed. I think the spring hits 'em when you try to slide it out. I remember thinking to myself what a not so good set up it was.(to work on) I still managed break it loose though...

simpzimmer
06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I have already taken out the four studs. I can't see anything holding it on. I'm going to try frankenstang's idea of jacking up the spring to break it loose. It looks like it should just slide out...rather frustrating.

Andrew Mace
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
If the studs are out and the ends are undone from the vertical links, there's nothing left holding the spring assembly except rust and crud. So jack carefully on one end...or use a dead-blow hammer. You might even be able to pry with something through the access hole. It shouldn't take all that much, and then it WILL slide out!

Banjo
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Sorry, I diden't see "Spitfire" until after I posted.~smacks head with hand~
I was thinking solid axel TR.
Please disregard my incorrect advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif