PDA

View Full Version : Exorcism Anyone?

DougF
06-06-2006, 03:57 PM
The demon struck again today while driving my TR6. I don't know whether to take it to an exorcist or a bonfire.
Broke a 1st gear tooth. Just had the interior out this past weekend sealing up leaks and fixing a loose wire to an overdrive switch.
I'm concerned about driving it. All I need is for a piece of gear to get into the overdrive and cause major problems.
I need to find a new hobbie.

jerrybny
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the gear but may I ask that you please keep that evil spirit that might be hanging around your area, down there Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

martx-5
06-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I think it's time to yank the tranny out before more damage is done.

Look on the bright side...you have experience taking out the interior, and it should go quickly.

06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Er, Doug, you did look at the date today. 6-6-6. You won't see
me out riding in my car today, unless maybe Father Mickey were to ride along with me.

Superstitious
Bill

Kurtis
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Broke a 1st gear tooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer...

Out of curiosity, how exactly does one tell when he/she has broken a gear tooth without pulling the thing apart?

trboost
06-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Doug, I feel your pain.
Last fall I blew third gear on a four speed. Not wanting to deal with the overdrive I opted for the HVDA Toyota 5-speed. All went well and I was up & running again. The Toyota trany is terrific & so is the Hydraulic T/O bearing. One month after the trany is in the diff blows. Same mindset tells me to go for the Good Parts R200 LSD kit. Bolt it in and the world is a good place again. Go for a drive yesterday & I loose the clutch pedal. Hey, guess what , the hydraulic T/O bearing is leaking and I will have to pull the trany again.
At this point I don't care if I have to hook up an intravenous drip to the clutch reservoir, I'm driving it till I can't take it any more.

Sometimes you just feel like your being tested.

grossgo
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Broke a 1st gear tooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer...

Out of curiosity, how exactly does one tell when he/she has broken a gear tooth without pulling the thing apart?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing. And I think "the piece" would bite something in the transmission before it got into the overdrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
GT

tomshobby
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
That can be frustrating esp when you want to just drive and enjoy the car. But it is fixable. I had a transmission go one time in a car that had a little more power. When it went the front wheels were in the air in second and the transmission opened like a walnut shell across the bottom and over the top from front to back. No teeth left on anything.

DougF
06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
The symptoms of a broken tooth are a clattering while driving and of course vibration. How do you determine what it is? I took it to a customer of mine who has dealt with these hunks since the fifties. He figured it out after we travelled about five feet.
I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Mickey Richaud
06-06-2006, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Er, Doug, you did look at the date today. 6-6-6. You won't see
me out riding in my car today, unless maybe Father Mickey were to ride along with me.

Superstitious
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't sayin' nuttin'... Nope, not me!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Mickey