PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing

Tomster
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
There is a new windshield in my future. (I am tired of all these little projects that delay driving) In the interim, has anyone successfully cut and polished their existing windshield?
What product and method of application did you use?
Or is it just easier to bite the bullet and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif it?

Alan_Myers
06-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi,

I've been wondering the same thing. I've got a couple slightly used windshields that have a few scratches and nicks, and have wondered if one or both might be repairable. Have had good success polishing plastic in a similar manner.

I see Eastwood Co. offers kits for the purpose of polishing scratches out of windshields. I would expect the biggest concern is overheating the glass and causing it to crack, it's probably critical to use a relatively slow polisher and just gradually do the work.

Hope someone has some experiences with this they are willing to share!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Popeye
06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Griot's garage also sells a glass polishing kit. (No personal affiliation, I just find Griot's products are both expensive and good.)

Mike

06-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Try using Bronze Wool. Like ultra-fine steel wool but bronze. It takes a lot of elbow grease but will take out some surface scratches and hazing. Can be found at most yacht supply stores.

An old trick that works.

Bill

PeterK
06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
another old trick is a baking soda slurry using an orbital polisher on low speed.

i have used griot's to remove minor hazing too.

Brosky
06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
If you can find a glass shop in your area, ask if they will sell you a small jar of glass pumice. Works with water and is similar to the baking soda idea, but made for polishing glass by hand. An old body man once said, if it can't be polished out by hand it needs replaced, but todays buffers are better suited to polishing than years ago.