PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust done.. pics inside

LastDeadLast
05-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Well fellas (and gals) I finally picked up the car after a week in his shop (he had to order some parts to do the job he wanted). This guy is a nut, I've never met someone that was such a perfectionist. When I first told him that I wanted the setup put together with band clamps, he almost turned me down, we finally came to a compromise with flange clamps, the big disadvantage now is that I can loosen the exhaust and move the pieces around, but I can never completely remove the two center pieces out of the tunnel. A small price to pay. The pics speak for themselves. Please notice that I have Richard Good's rear sway bar fitted. The clearance is TIGHT, but he got it to fit. Anyone that's ever fitted a performance exhaust to one of these cars knows what I'm talking about.

The sound: These mufflers are loud at low speed, but they calm down when I get past 2000 rpms and seem about the same tone as the Falcon Sport exhaust. This setup is not for everyone.

https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust%20004.jpg

https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust%20003.jpg

https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust%20005.jpg

jerrybny
05-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Sweet. Wish I had the spare change to put something like that on my 6.

Brosky
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Shannon:

Are these the mufflers that you bought out of Florida from previous post? (see attachment) I planned to order those, but stay with the 1.75" OD pipes on the exit, maybe moving up to 2.00". What are yours and do you think that the bigger pipes affect the sound to the loud side or is it just the mufflers that are loud to begin with. Years ago, guys would add tailpipe extension to get a crackle or rippling affect in the exhaust note, so I was wondering what you thought caused it?

Thanks for the great pics to use as a guide.

LastDeadLast
05-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Paul,

It is the same. The only reason that I went 2" is because I had trouble finding 1.85 OD (the size that the sport exhaust is). As for the sound, I'd say it's a combination of everything. The muffler I'm using is very small, about 3" tall, add the increased pipe size, then the tips and you get a loud exhaust. At highway speeds the sound is nice, not overbearing at all. Pulling out and running at very low speed (below 30 mph) is another matter; It's really loud. It looks so good, I'm willing to let that go.

Another note. Instead of using cheap exhaust hangers bolted to the bottom of the trunk, the guy fabricated the rear most hangers on the cross-member. He told that he refused to have "his" exhaust supported by sheet metal. He also made a transmission hanger as well.

Let me know if you need any more pics. I've got it up on stands right now changing the oil.

Brosky
05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Shannon:

Additional pics of the mounts would be helpful. I have a pretty clever guy and he liked your original system as well. I presume (perhaps incorrectly) that the additional piece on the back of each muffler before tailpipes is the "hanger" that he made because it's not on the pic you sent of the mufflers on the mat when you got them.

R6MGS
05-27-2006, 09:32 PM
*DROOL* I want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LastDeadLast
05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Right side rear hanger:

https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust.jpg

Left Side:
https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust%20009.jpg

Gearbox Mount (can you tell what pipes he reused??):

https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_New%20Exhaust%20008.jpg

Alan_Myers
05-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Looks great!

Just outrun the noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky
05-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Shannon:

He's pretty darned good at welding SS, that's for sure. Thanks for the pics and once again, great job!

05-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Shannon,

Good looking setup. A few questions: How are the mounts setup up for fore-and-aft expansion and are they set up for any movement at all, like up and down? Also, so you have access to your tranny service plate?
You should market the setup.

Bill

LastDeadLast
05-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Bill,

The two rear mounts have a little movement, but I really didn't want much flex in the back anyway. The transmission hanger is solid, but I think I'm going to have him rework that with rubber insulator. Although it's tight I still have room to get to the service plate.

I never even thought of the marketing aspect of it... if I did that, I would try to source a quieter muffler first. If I found a shorter muffler it could still work with this design and still allow a rear sway bar.

It's a great idea none-the-less.

05-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Shannon,
Beware the vibrating engine. I had my first setup (using a Falcon Sport system) bolted up tight because I did my own install and could not find someone to help with a custom setup like your beauty. Every muffler shop wanted to braze everything up. Muffler guys live and die by the brazing torch. Because I had the whole system bolted down tight, I was forever retorqueing my exhaust manifold because of the amount of movement of the engine. It was just a matter of time before something had to break! I, in my own garage and in my homegrown way, solved this problem by introducing two 10 or 12 inch stainless flex tubes (triple-walled) behind the headers (by now headers and not cast manifolds) and in front of the tranny. I used the band clamps to be able to dismantle. The first area of support for the system is a flat table bracket that I welded up and bolted to the sides of the frame that allow the twin pipes to rest securely atop the bracket, padded tightly by flame-proof cloth. Behind the T-shirt I added a cross member where I tightly bolted up the twin pipes and once again behind the mufflers, here another cross-brace and bolted tight. My huge-ass Falcon mufflers hang way low and are a constant source of dragging. Except for that, my homegrown system works and with my custom tips from Stainless Specialties, they bellow pretty good. Being somewhat OCD, I salivate over your setup, but do worry about the ability of your headers to absorb the shake of the engine, although the professional setup that your exhaust artist has done makes me think that he knows what he is doing and has taken this into consideration.

Bill

trfourtune
05-31-2006, 02:27 PM
thats a sweet job,
it's getting harder and harder to find people who car about workmanship. sytem should have rubber mounts to allow for movement as others have stated. if you don't have them you should go back to the guy to have them installed. you should also post the guy's name and shop so others can use him (he obviously cares).
rob