PDA

View Full Version : Strange clutch noise

desmo900rider
05-20-2006, 09:09 AM
When I press in the clutch on my 79 Spitfire, it makes a strange kind of grinding, or fast clunking noise, but only on about the 1st inch or so of travel...the clutch was just replaced last year, and otherwise works fine, shifts smoothy, and after the 1st inch of depression, the noise dissapears...if I just sit at idle and press the clutch pedal in a bit, like just start to put the first bit of pressure on it, thats where it happens...almost like a rattle? I do have a broken engine mount that I will be replacing this week, not sure if that could be causing any weird vibrations...

Anybody heard of this?

Thanks!

Mike

Andrew Mace
05-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Offhand, I'd say you might have a (minor?) problem with the throwout bearing. I would certainly continue to monitor the situation and be prepared to pull the gearbox if it gets worse. At the same time, it's surprising what broken motor mounts can cause; same thing with the rear gearbox mounts (harder to both see and get to but also worth checking).

desmo900rider
05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks Andrew, I am going to the mechanics tonight to have him take a listen, I'll report back with what he thinks...

desmo900rider
05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Sounds like it very well may be the broken motor mount is the culprit...Hopefully when the new ones get put in it will settle down the vibrations through the clutch...