PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A -Great Day, Bad Day, Good Day

bluemiata90
05-20-2006, 08:16 AM
I'll try an make this as short as possible and I hope it makes you smile. I was visiting my daughter in Southern Ill. and as always, I picked up the local car classifieds. I find a 61 TR3A for sale in a small town about 250 miles from Chicago.
The fact that I'm in the middle of a body off restoration of another TR3, didn't stop me from giving the seller a call. As would happen, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I purchased the TR3. Now began the process of trailering it back up to Chicago. I rent a Uhaul trailer and worry over, "will it fit". I install a hitch on my sons jeep and worry over, "will it be able to trailer the car hauler 500 miles without incident", Etc Etc.
We get up early and travel the 250 miles without incident. The TR3 fits (very tight). We get it back to Chicago (total trip time about 8 hours). Start to remove it from the trailer and it won't start. O.K. a little starter fluid will do the trick, spray the starter fluid into the carbs and it starts right up. Worry about it falling off the ramps when removing it from the trailer. It comes off without any problems. My son and I are standing there listening to it run and smiling. All that worrying for nothing. WAIT, smoke coming from the engine compartment, quickly open the hood, the one carb is blowing out flames.
The fact that I'm a firefighter, you'd think I would have worried about it catching on fire. No extingisher available. Bottles of Pepsi from the cooler saved the day. After it cooled down, it started right up and ran great. I guess the starter fluid started the leaky carb on fire. Little to no damage, but a very exciting ending to long day. Hope you enjoyed the story.

mrv8q
05-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Ah, your first exciting adventure w/ your new car! Tell us more: Vin #, condition, color etc. I'm a sucker for '3 stories...

sammyb
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM
SUs are very prone to leaking. There are so many little rubber and cork parts (plus rubber fuel lines) that can get old and allow fuel to drip.

Glad you were able to put it out.

Post pictures of your new 3 when you get a chance!

bluemiata90
05-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I've tried to add pictures, but the pictures seem to be to large. So if you'd like to see some pictures of my new Red Summer driver or my body off restoration in progress pictures or any of my other ragtops, go to cardomain.com/ride/816145 and go to page 8 to see my new purchase.

sammyb
05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Very cool. By the way, I like your '73 Mustang convertible.

05-20-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I like your '73 Mustang convertible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I had a 71 Mach 1 before the TR6 (well, two cars before, there was a 68 Galaxie fastback in between there). I'd love to get a 71-73 convertible and do a "Mach 1 vert" restomod.

AggieCPA
05-21-2006, 03:34 PM
That looks like a good potential driver. I'm guessing you were around Centralia? I'm close to Champaign, just off I-57.

If you decide to seel it I hope you list it here. What is the VIN on it?