PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Window Crank

R6MGS
05-11-2006, 07:48 PM
The driver side window on my TR6 likes to roll itself down(I guess she likes the feel of the wind blowing through her)....This has become quite annoying; so I poked around an noticed the black plastic spacer that goes behind the window crank is missing...Could this be why the window keeps falling? Or I am I going to have to remove that door panel and investigate further?

TR4nut
05-11-2006, 08:39 PM
It could be. If I remember right, the black spacer is also what holds the pin in place that keeps the crank attached. Without it, the pin could slip out. You also should have a spring behind the spacer and panel which makes the panel tighter to the handle - you should be able to see the spring with the handle off without pulling the panel.

You might also have worn outer scrapers on the door - are they in good shape? When I changed mine out that made a difference, the friction between the window and scraper held things up.

Randy

05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Sounds like your crank mechanism, which is coil-spring loaded, may well be worn out. The whole window mechanism can be inspected and removed, if need be, from the inside with the door panel removed. If you feel that you need to check it out by this method, drive the little pins out of the crank handle and door handle with an ice pick, pop the upholstered panel off and away you go. Removing the entire mechanism is a bit of a trick but very much doable. Even the door glass can be removed. You can take the panel off and watch the mechanism work and figure out the problem. Most all the parts are now available from the vendors.

Good luck.

Bill

R6MGS
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
The scrapers are pretty worn, but servicable for now....if I end up removing the entire window I'll replace the scrapers.....Right now I've got a peice of wood behind the crank to stop it from turning...so I am hoping the added resistance from the black spacer will stop it.....otherwise I'll have to add removing the panel and inspecting the entire mechanism to my growing list of automotive jobs......It's not that I don't want to work on the cars, I just never have enough time to do it all and we all know how small jobs can quickly turn into large time consuming projects.

tr6web
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
It could also be your window channels. Mine had no fuzzy stuff in them when I removed them. Replaced them and the window I had rolling itself down was now fine.

05-12-2006, 05:02 PM
DARN YA'LL! You mentioned window cranks (or was that me) and my third crank handle fell apart in three years. I did a once over on the car and saw that both seat belt covers (for the belt loop) are falling apart, one window handle, both window scrapers, one fuzzy door seal and two wiper blades - all falling to crap. They don't give those door seals away (third set in five years). Much of my interior vinyl covered panels is coming unglued. And my car has been done less than 5 years. And, it never has spent the night out doors. This is soooooo frustrating....

Bill

Plus, I have been working so hard to catch up with Jaybird so I can be a Star Wars somebody, and now we are all just members .

R6MGS
05-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I hear ya Bill.....try keeping 7 LBC's in decent shape...Usually at this time I'd have taken at least one B out of storage and both of the A's....Haven't even touched any of the MG's this year, just thinking about all the little things I am going to have to do with them gets me agrivated....Now the Caddy is giving me trouble, and I am suppose to find time to go buy another beater vehicle!