PDA

View Full Version : Brake and Clutch Master Cylinder Storage.

ichthos
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Good evening,
I have a new brake master cylinder and a rebuilt clutch master cylinder as spares. I am hoping not to use them for a while, so my question is do I need to do anything special to store them? No hydraulic fluid is in the brake master cylinder, but I did put fluid in the clutch master cylinder initially to make sure I rebuilt it correctly.
Thanks,
Kevin

Andrew Mace
05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
You might wrap them in an oilcloth, as some older replacement cylinders were wrapped by Girling. Certainly I'd want to put them in a relatively dry storage area, in something airtight and perhaps with a packet of drying agent (which I typed because I wasn't sure I could spell "desiccant" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Alan_Myers
05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Kevin,

I always use brake assembly lubricant when working on parts like those. It's like a thin oil, only a small amount is needed and it acts as a good preservative during storage until they are put in service. I've stored some things this way for years.

I'm not wild about storing something that's had DOT3/4brake fluid in it, because I've seen it dry to a crusty corrosion like surface on the insides and outsides of the cylinder. Seems to me it promotes "white rust" on aluminum, too, which is what many brake parts are made of. DOT5 brake fluid is probably not so much of a problem in storage, but I never use the stuff so can't really be sure.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif