PDA

View Full Version : One for the PI Owners

05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a non-stock tank. I'm looking at evaporative emissions controls, hooking into a custom intake manifold. I'm in a non-emissions state but don't want to go the pinhole in the cap route, and although I can grab a carbon canister and solenoid from something newer, the idea doesn't appeal except as a last resort.

My question is this - does anyone have a picture of the stock TR6 PI with the emissions hooked up? I'm wondering if I can fit this in with what I have.

TIA, Alan.

Hayfever
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the emissions system was only required for the US market, and thus the PI models wouldn't have it. The parts (such as the charcoal canister) are listed on the Rimmer Brothers site for TR6 under the "North American Models" specific listing only.

05-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I wasn't sure if they shoved it on for the European models. Oh well - back to Ebay...

Steve
05-10-2006, 09:48 PM
That's correct, emissions equipment was for the North American market only.

piman
05-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Hello Alan,

do you have a P.I. set up? I have a 2.5 P.I. saloon (Sedan in your language) here but that has no emmissions equipment whatsoever. If you do have a P.I., why do you want to add these complications?

Alec

Hayfever
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Alan has a custom EFI setup that resembles a PI manifold (and I'm finishing an EFI setup made from a PI manifold, so I read his posts with interest, he's about a month ahead of me I think in getting it running). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

05-11-2006, 07:39 AM
I need to account for evaporative emissions from the tank. There are three ways I can do this since my car is non-emissions:

1. Pinhole in the cap.

Adv: Easy
Dis: Polluting, wasteful, ugly (watch one vent in the sun), car smells of gas all the time

2. Pipe out the side of the car from a vent in the tank

Adv: see 1
Dis: see 2

3. Additional flex line to a carbon canister in the engine bay. Purge solenoid to feed vapor into the intake manifold at non-idle conditions. I can use an additional output on the ECU for powering this. I'm not going to all the trouble of lambda correction, just anything more than 1/2 throttle ought to be enough (and easy to program).

Adv: Clean, modern (80/90s) and car won't smell of gas (SWMBO has a big problem with original setup - which had a melted pipe so vented into the engine bay and was fairly strong smelling).
Dis: More work

Hayden - fyi - I think I'm going to go with a Ford canister/purge setup. The canisters are extremely inexpensive and come in a wide variety of sizes (look on Amazon in car parts for Motorcraft emissions canisters and you'll see what I mean). I need to do a little more thinking before I come to a final decision. I know I don't want a hole in my gas cap though...

Andy Blackley
05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Alan: The TR250 has a vented cap. The vent hole is just under the cap, in the neck. It is neither ugly as it cannot be seen, nor is it smelly. FWIW

Hayfever
05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
My TVR already appears to have a vented cap so I'm not particularly concerned about this one myself, I just meant in general. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif