PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ignitor Question

Andy Blackley
05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I bought one of them there Ignitors the other day. My question is can you do a static timing setting as with the points, i.e. set the static (10BTDC), hook up the test lamp, and rotate the dizzy until it the lamp lights up?
I figure this is a good time to pull all the plugs, check the valve clearances,retime as described with the Ignitor in place, and install new NGK BP6ES plugs set to say .030 ( I still have the stock coil.)

TR4
05-10-2006, 09:02 AM
I was told you could do the static timing but I have not tried that since I feel using the timing light gives me a slightly more accurate setting while running.

tomshobby
05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Andy,
You might try this. With your points still in, static time your system and then check with a timing light to see what the setting turns out to be. Then install the ignitor and use the timing light to set it to the mark you found.

BTW - thanks for the help you gave me. I followed your suggestion and posted thanks on the 6-Pack site also.

sparkydave
05-10-2006, 09:29 AM
As far as static timing, I just went by the dot on the rotor and the dot on the sensor. Set the crankshaft at 10 degrees BTDC, then line the dots up. I was only off by one degree, which got the engine started with no problem. Use a timing light to set the timing once the engine is running.

DNK
05-10-2006, 06:28 PM
May be even stupider,excuse the ignorence. What is an Ignitor

swift6
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
A form of electronic ignition conversion. Made by Pertronix.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DNK
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
I Guess Ignitor is quicker to type than Pertronix

dklawson
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, you can do static timing with the original Ignitor/Pertronix. However, you cannot static time a car outfitted with the new Ignitor II modules. I don't know if Ignitor II is even available for LBCs though.

There is one VERY important caveat about static timing with Pertronix. DO NOT leave the ignition on for more than two or three minutes with the engine not running. The modules will overheat and be permanently damaged if you leave the ignition on without the engine running.

To avoid this, make your static timing adjustments quickly OR pull the red wire (negative ground cars) off its +12V connection if you leave the ignition switch on for a prolonged period of time.

Andy Blackley
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the good tips.
Doug: The literature that came with the thing recommends not leaving it on for a prolonged period or damage may ensue. Do you know of cases where one was actually damaged after only a few minutes?

dklawson
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
On another forum I frequent there have been two incidents I remember where people left their ignitions on and caused damage to the Ignitor. From memory, these people left their ignitions on in excess of five minutes. I believe it was conversations between these people and Pertronix tech support that resulted in the recommendation to limit the non-running on-time to less than two minutes. I wouldn't say overheating failures are common.

05-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I have personally cooked two (count'em, 2) Crane systems by leaving the ignition on for a few minutes, till I switched over to the Crane 3000 which had some electronic component that fixed this problem. I have since reverted back to stock-style points and never looked back. The subject has been broached many times on the forum. It is a never ending debate. POINTS RULE!

Bill