PDA

View Full Version : TR6 brake hoses 75 tr6

floyd
05-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Quick simple question......in the process of bleeding my brakes, starting with the right rear, parts of the inner brake hose ended up in my bleeder jar. Question....my local auto parts stores can get hoses @ $30.00 each. I see our British parts suppliers have them at @$15.00 each. Is there a difference in quality here or just prices. As always...thank you very much.

05-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Shouldn't be a difference, as long as the local parts store has a good line of parts. If you don't mind waiting a week, get them from British car vendors. Be careful, this is an area that Triumph thought about starting to convert over to Metric, believe it or not. Some later TR6's actually had some metric brake fittings. The British car vendor should have the correct part. If you go with a local, just check the threads with a thread checker to make sure that they match you original hose. Some vendors offer an armored hose, might be a consideration as well.
Good luck.

Bill

DNK
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Floyd- BPNW sells nice heavy duty original brake lines. If you don't want to splurge with the braided I suggest you check them out.
I got mine a number of years ago and I hope they still selll them
don

bash
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Floyd

I replaced the hoses on my 75 a couple of months ago, and the fittings are all 3/8UNF (24tpi). The only metric fittings are at the calipers themselves - the hose end of the rigid pipe to the caliper is still UNF. I got a set of Goodridge braided hoses from a guy on ebay.co.uk for about $60 shipped, by the way - maybe worth a look? I always feel that they give a bit more protection against flying stones and the like - probably all in my imagination, but they were the same price as the plain rubber hoses from TRF/Moss etc. so why not?

Hope that helps.
Alistair

floyd
05-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Time is not a issue with this car, of course I'd like to be cruisin in it soon. I've had since Nov. of 05 and been slowly plucking at it. I got it running and was is the process of bleeding the brakes so I could take it out on the road for a test. It's been sitting for about 5 years. Thanks again.....I'll be back....

Alan_Myers
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a set of Goodridge braided hoses from a guy on ebay.co.uk for about $60 shipped, by the way - maybe worth a look? I always feel that they give a bit more protection against flying stones and the like - probably all in my imagination, but they were the same price as the plain rubber hoses from TRF/Moss etc. so why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Floyd,

I agree with Alistair, the stainless braided lines are a good safety upgrade.

They also last longer and will give the pedal a firmer, more precise feel (because they can't expand under pressure like the solid rubber hoses can).

If you don't like the silvery, non-original look, just get some coiled black plastic wire wrap at Radio Shack or most any electronics store and cover them up (it also protects anything the s/s hose might rub against and abraid).

The IRS cars like yours, in particular, benefit from using s/s braided brake hoses, since they have a total of four. The earlier TRs with live rear axle have three hoses.

You probably already know to be a little careful of routing, so that the hoses can't get hung up on the suspension or rub against a tire or wheel.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif