PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6 MkI Overheating

Eleven
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I just installed the grill for the first time on my GT6 and now it runs hot. No shroud on the car. Anyone else run into this? It is a stock item so am surprised.

svtmikey
05-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Not sure but I think you NEED the shroud on the car for proper cooling. They tend to run hot anyway, but the shroud ensures that the air is directed through the radiator.

Eleven
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Where on the scale do they tend to read? I have a Smiths with no numbers so cannot tell the actual temp. I am taking it out this weekend (Work corners at a vintagae race) and thought about either removing alternate bars on the grill or building a cardboard shroud to see if it helps. May do the later.

billspit
05-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Does it overheat while idling or underway? Or both?
I say you def need the shouds in front of the rad. It would help if you could make some type of fan shroud too. I've been waiting for some industrious person to start making some for a REASONABLE price. If I had the time i could likley find a production shroud off something that would do.

Eleven
05-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Without the grill it ran at the cooler 3rd of the scale, never moved up. With the grill, it runs almost at the red and stays pretty steady there, idle, street or freeway. I think if I can get air through the grill better, it'll be fine, just hate to chop at the grill!!

tomshobby
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I never had a cooling problem with my '67. But it also had all the original shrouding.