PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Revelations... as I assess my TR4

SCguy
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I've a couple areas of concerns as I assess my TR4. One is I apparently have the later long bulge hood which came on the later bodies(I guess this might be expected) The other concern is I'm missing the trunk lind bracing. This is different on the later cars and the older brace is no longer available (but then the lid appears to be the same on all models) Does anyone know if you can use the later brace on an older lid? (If I indeed have an original lid) I'm so confused? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4aKen
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't remember the story behind the small "blister", but they are extremely rare...I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one...so the chances are you have the correct hood. I'd say the latch/brace are the same 4/4a/250...but others may disagree. Congratulations...body perfect/surrey top.

TR4nut
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Larry-

I forgot to mention this, but you need to snag a pdf copy of the TR4 parts manual. Don't have the URL handy, but it is out there - someone I'm sure can chime in to help, if not let me know and I'll track it down for you.

Looking over this, the rear trunk prop rod was changed out at CT5643, so you should have the later prop lid anyway. Are you missing the whole tubing frame support for the trunk, or just the prop? There is a chance you have mismatched parts, but your commission number would say you would have the later style.

On the hood, I think the short bubble size probably stopped at CT6430, so again you are probably fine. The manual also says a parts change at 37690, very late, and my guess is the bubble size is the same but the hood buffers went to the TR6 cone style so you would see cone receptacles on the hood if it were a later TR4 or 4a hood.

Randy

SCguy
05-09-2006, 04:02 PM
It's the tube frame support that I'm missing. My body # is 12077 CT. I'm not sure if the lid is original or not.

I don't have a parts manual yet (Bently is on the way) so I've just been using the Moss catalogue as a reference.

If someone could post a URL it would be greatly appreciated.

TR4nut
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Larry-

Sent you a pm with more info.

Randy

Alan_Myers
05-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi Larry,

You will likely be able to find a used tubular internal trunk lid (boot lid) support without too much trouble.

The reason I think it will be relatively easy to find is that the trunk lid itself tends to rust from the bottom/rear edge up and is much more susceptible to rust than the separate internal frame. The lid is much more vulnerable to accident damage, as well. So, a usable frame might be found on an unusable trunk lid. Even a slightly bent or tweaked support frame is relatively easy to straighten.

So, just be patient and you will find one in time. Check with anyone handling used TR parts. www.triumphsonly.com (https://www.triumphsonly.com) probably has several to choose, but likely at 2X the price you might find it elsewhere. Post a wanted ad here in the BCF classifieds, and maybe alco on www.craigslist.com (https://www.craigslist.com) if they are in your area. Look in your local area for any wrecking yards specializing in LBCs. Look on eBay for anyone parting out a TR4/4A/250.

I believe there are two slightly different versions of the tubular trunk lid frame. The very early one was fitted with a solid prop rod (similar to the one under the hood) and I think has an extra hole or two. The later sliding/telescoping prop rod version is much more common and what you need for your car. Still, there wouldn't be much difference with either type and an early one could be used.

Based upon the serial number, I'm pretty sure your hood should have the longer power bulge and the flats for the rubber bumpers at the rear corners.

I've never seen a pdf of the parts manual. Instead I've got the printed parts manuals. It's useful to have TR3 and TR4A, too, since many parts are shared, or to distinguish what's definitely incorrect for the car. Some vendors will happily sell you a TR4A item and just hope you don't know the difference... that's probably why they created their own parts numbers, instead of just using the established factory parts numbers which would make substitution obvious. TRF and Rimmer Bros. use the original numbers. To some degree, so do Revington TR, Ted Schumacher and British Parts Northwest.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Kurtis
05-10-2006, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone could post a URL it would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's one I scanned:

6.5MB PDF file
https://members.cox.net/kurtisj123/Spare%20Parts%20Catalogue/TR4_Spare_Parts_Catalog.pdf

or a thumbnailed version
https://littlebritishcars.atspace.com/TR4%20Spare%20Parts%20Catalog/

TR4nut
05-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Thank you Kurtis - by the way, that is one handy resource, it has helped me immensely.

Randy

TR4
05-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Just to make sure you know, the part numbers in that Parts Book from Kurtis can be used as part numbers for The Roadster Factory. I'm sure you know the web address.