PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4a parts car for my 62 TR4?

SCguy
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I posted that I just bought a TR4. The body/frame/suspension/engine trans are great, but I'm mising a ton of little parts right now. I've got a line a 67 TR4a Parts car. Would a TR4a be useful as a parts car for the little things? (dash pieces, bumper brackets, hood hinges possibly gauges, seat rails)

Thoughts?

Rusticus
05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
You would do much better with a TR4 parts car. I mean, some of it will fit, but it wouldn't necessarily be right. And you have the opportunity to build a first-class car. The TR4 parts car won't cost any more when you find it...

TR4nut
05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I agree, unless the 4a is a real bargain and close to you a TR4 would be a much better fit. For example, the front bumper overriders on the 4a are different than the 4, the attachments are different, etc. Lots of parts certainly could work, but a lot will be different.

I like perusing through the Moss online catalog, you can get a pretty good idea on part compatibility that way, especially for key pieces.

I do have a spare convertible frame, which I could potentially swap for the surrey should you decide to go that route.. (sorry, just wishful thinking on my part!)

Randy

Simon TR4a
05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Specifically, I think the instruments should be the same; on my TR4a they are British Jaeger as opposed to Smiths on the later cars, the bonnet hinges and seat sliders should be the same.
The dash of the TR4a has a wood fascis, but the structure underneath is the same, its just painted white on the TR4, with a bright metal inlay in the centre for the minor guages. The soft tops are different as well.

As the others said, you could use most of the A parts if you just want to get the car on the road, but a TR4 would be better if you want it to be correct.
Simon.

SCguy
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, I'm going to hold out for a TR4 parts car or just try and find the things I need as I go.

Andrew Mace
05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Specifically, I think the instruments should be the same; on my TR4a they are British Jaeger as opposed to Smiths....

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, that's one critical area of difference. The earliest TR4s had gauges that looked virtually identical to those of a TR3, right down to the "bubble" glass. Obvious differences from TR3 were an electrical temp. gauge and a red BAND between 5000-6000 rpm as opposed to a red LINE @ 5000 rpm on a TR3.