PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Tearing Down my Free TR3 Engine

05-07-2006, 06:59 PM
OK, I have managed to get the pistons out but I can't figure out how to get that split rear oil seal off. It will rotate around the crank end if I tap in the holes and the split line is showing a bit, but it won't come off. I assume I have to get this off to get the rear main bearing cap off. Any suggestions on getting the rear bearing cap off? The front cap tapped right off. Any tricks to removing this piece so I can get the crank out. So far, it almost looks as though someone just ran out of gas and parked this thing about 30 years ago. I can see no major, visible disasters, yet. I did notice that the front cam bearing flange was cracked a long time ago (well oiled crack, not a fresh break) but the cam had all it's lobes. Man, this is one sturdy little engine, looks like it would go in a tractor.

I am asking all these dumb questions because I don't have my manual yet. It is in the mail....

Bill

sp53
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Bill that rear seal is held in place with gasket shellac. Try some kind of acetone to break it lose. You should be able to moisten up the shellac once the bolts are off and just knock it off there. Perhaps you might prey gently. I sometimes take a rag and soak it in automatic transmission fluid and just set it on the object I want loosened for a copy of days. (Tranny fluid is relatively benign)The rear oil sealing is mostly done with the crankshaft itself. The crankshaft has a spiraling tread cut into it in the back, so as the engine runs the oil is thrown forward. The spiraling actually makes a wall in the back of the engine, so most the oil will not pass by. For those reasons, people should not park their tr3 facing up hill.
sp53

TR4
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I had heard a rag soaked in WD-40 and PB Blaster placed on the bearing would loosen it up overnight. Let us know if you have any luck. I may have to do the same someday.