PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Car Show

jerrybny
05-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Went to a car show today. I was very disappointed. There were only 3 MG's, 1 TR6 and 2 Jaguars. Lots of muscle cars and old Fords and Chevys but very very few British cars. Guess we British car owners are in the minority when it comes to a lot of car shows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GB1
05-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Jerry

Britfest at Moss was today and NJ and there was a good turn out, matbe they were there.

tomshobby
05-06-2006, 04:44 PM
AINT IT GREAT!! They get a quick 0-60 and we get it all!
I had a 65 GTO that was set up to run the 1/4 at Union Grove. It could pick the front wheels in two gears. Great fun once or twice. After that it was kind of like a one-trick-pony. Given only one choice and I will take a LBC any day.
I did not realize until years later that I had the GTO to impress other people and the TR4 and GT6 to impress me.

05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
jerry, where'd you go - rhinebeck?

Geo Hahn
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
This is where a local club can make a difference. When a show looks promising we organize participation, breakfast beforehand, club drive, etc to turn out a decent British representation.

One show still put us in with 'other sports cars' and we watched as a show-room new Camaro took top honors one year and a replica did it the next. After that our club decided as a group who had the best car that day -- all voted for it and it took top prize in our class. Each year we get bigger so that now there are 4 classes just for British cars.

But you're quite right -- it can be downright lonely going to a car show on your own. It's a big hobby and we are only a small part of it.

Ab Crevoiserat
05-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I was at Britfest today. I think that just about all the LBC's in the area were there. The cars ranged from Austin Healey to Triumph and everything in between. Great time, there must have been close to 150 cars.

Trevor Triumph
05-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I do notice at one our local "cruise in" shows that a showroom room new Mustang, Corvette, or Viper gets a lot of attention. All the guy did was buy it. The cars that represent hours of research and plenty of sweat and busted knuckles barely get a nod. Kind sad sometimes. T.T.

R6MGS
05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Same around here too.....I frequent alot of the local cruises and general classic car shows.....few LBC's but I enjoy the muscle cars as well.

TR_Jim
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
The shows I go to are either British car shows or antique car shows. Normally at the antique shows there is nothing newer than 1976. But what Geo said works. Two shows that I went to a few years back had no import class. They do now. We would show up with 4 to 6 of our British cars and they had to find a place to put us other than "Other", "Replica" or "Kit" classes. It's amazing how the import classes have gorwn, especially the number of British cars. So form a group and make them deal with British Iron.

Banjo
05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Next month is the "big" car show locally at the National Warplane Museum in BIg Flats N.Y. Our club is in on the show, so we usually have a whole row of Brit cars (and Italian and German) We even sponsor the "annual brown bag award" to a club member. Peramiters vary each year, but it's always fun.
I encourage all to come who are fairly local. I say it's our "big" event, but we're talking a little less than 500 cars. It's a fun event. I've never cared about awards, so I don't even know what they offer.
Our local "cruise-ins" are a joke for classic euro imports. They are all American muscle and rods. There is the occasional fancy new car, and the Wal-Mart show is largely Ricers, and the same rod and customs at the other shows.
But I still hold the truth that I went to a cruise-in in my TR4A once and I was the only Import, the only 4 cylinder, and one of 3 convertables.
I really got a kick outta listening to the two rodders next to me talking about the cost of driving thier monsters at 5 to 8 Miles per gallon, so I quietly offered that I was getting around 20 MPG in my ride. hehehehehehhe

Russ Austin
05-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Another big show is in Louisville the 22nd annual British Bash. Last year they had over 300 LBC, this year they have 188 pre registered. June 2nd and 3rd. WWW.Britishbash.com (https://www.britishbash.com/)

jerrybny
05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
yes Rhinebeck

05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
glad i saved myself the drive then...