PDA

View Full Version : pertronix installation

mgbmedic
05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Anyone ever install a Pertronix electronic ignition in a TR6? I've installed several in MGBs but could not get it to work in my TR6, instructions say to connect red wire to + terminal on coil and black wire to - terminal. But the coil has a hot feed (white ignition wire) on the - side of the coil. Perhaps a picture of your set-up will help. Thanks, bob

tomshobby
05-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Bob,
Before hooking it all up you might want to verify clearance between the cap and rotor after the hex piece is installed on the dist shaft lobes.
I just took mine out and went back to points and condensor because the hex part raised my rotor enough that the contact piece on top was rubbing on the caps plastic around the plunger contact. It was to the point that the cap was not even seating and could move far enough to rub on the end of the rotor. I do not know if Pertronix sells a special rotor for this application, but they should. I have to say that I did have an after market cap and rotor in the car which may have been part of the problem..
The PO had installed a Crane system and with that the rotor was rubbing on the sensor.
Points have served me well enough through the years and I do not like these complications, so I went back.

TR4
05-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I had this problem with my TR4 and turned the coil around 180 to get my Pertronix to work. Seems the points will work with the coil hooked up either way but Pertronix will not.

mgbmedic
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks a lot, I always keep extra point sets just in case...it just seems the instructions were vague. I'll try the coil 180, souldn't matter which way the current flows, should it?

jerrybny
05-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I have the pertronix in my 73 TR^ and it works fine. The red wire is hooked up to the + side of the coil. I only have one wire on the negitive side of the coil. But there are 2 on the positive side with one being the red wire from the electronic ignition.

Andrew Mace
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Coils will work either way, but supposedly they lose some effectiveness if wired backwards. In your case, "the coil has a hot feed (white ignition wire) on the - side of the coil"; that tells me that someone installed the coil on your car backwards. The hot feed should be the same polarity as the battery and the rest of the system, and I'll assume that your TR6 is a - ground car (as they all were), so you should switch those wires!