PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A I may need a TR3 rebuilt engine

sammy
05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I was out driving my TR3 last week and a mile from home it started making a horrendous grinding noise. I limped it home and started tearing into it tonight. I took off the transmission and the clutch. I started the engine and it still makes the grinding noise. The oil pan comes off on Saturday. If I need a rebuilt short block, where can I get one? Who rebuilds Triumph engines?

Kurtis
05-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Can you tell what part of the engine the grinding noise is coming from? It couldn't be something as simple as a bad water pump, could it?

vettedog72
05-05-2006, 06:52 AM
I agree with Kurtis and hope it is something more simple. Water pump, generator/alt or distributor shaft can make some pretty loud noises. What kind of oil pressure is indicated?

sammy
05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
The sound seems like it is coming from the rear of the emgine. It sounds like there is a loud knocking from inside the block. It isn't the water pump or the alternator (I converted from a generator). It sounds like a bearing cap could be loose. I will let you know what I find after the oil pan comes off. Thanks for the help.

Don Elliott
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
It may be the starter where the pinion is contacting the teeth on the flywheel and making the noise. But if you have the transmission out, I suppose you have already taken the starter out too. Huh ?

BobSands
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey Sammy.... The Roadster Factory offers rebuilt engines. Most large cities have at least one "TR fiendly" shop. These engines are fairly easy to work on, and I'd suggest that it would be a good club project, if you have a club locally. It's always amazed me how pizza and a case of beer "motivates" some pretty good mechanics.
Good luck... Bob

DNK
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
sammy,maybe if your real good the TR3 faries will drop off a used motor like some of the other good "person" on this site!
don

Kurtis
05-05-2006, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The sound seems like it is coming from the rear of the emgine. It sounds like there is a loud knocking from inside the block. It isn't the water pump or the alternator (I converted from a generator). It sounds like a bearing cap could be loose. I will let you know what I find after the oil pan comes off. Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch... that doesn't sound good. Let us know what you find when you drop the pan.

Andrew Mace
05-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Sammy, try getting in touch with someone in the Triumph Club of the Carolinas https://www.triumphclub.org/. Lots of good folks who can and likely WILL help you or point you in the right direction.