PDA

View Full Version : What is that long strap on a tonneau for?

MadRiver
05-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Howdy all -- I'm just finishing up the installation of my new tonneau, and I have no idea what the long strap in the middle of the underside of the tonneau is for. I postulate that it could snap to the propeller shaft tunnel to keep the tonneau from flapping around when just the driver is in the car and the passanger seat is covered. Do I have that right?

Thanks as always!

DougF
05-04-2006, 06:50 AM
There is a snap on the inside of the passenger seat of a TR6 next to the tunnel that it connects to. I'm not certain if the same holds true for the 250. I've found that the strap on my original tonneau is too long and acts more as an annoyance instead of the non-flapper strap as intended.

martx-5
05-04-2006, 07:52 AM
I had that tonneau strap and snap on a '63 TR4 I had years ago. IIRC, the peg was screwed into the trans tunnel. It is very effective at keeping the tonneau from flapping around...provided it's the right length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Geo Hahn
05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I have that lift-the-dot peg on the side of the passenger seat bottom (tunnel side). It screws into the metal base... if you poke around a bit you may be able to find the original small hole under the replacement upholstery.

My replacement tonneau (Moss) came w/o the strap so I added a length of nylon strap (about 2" wide). Really keeps the tonneau from flapping at speed (but as noted it must be of a length to hold the tonneau down). I have to disconnect it to zip up the tonneau.

Might I ask where you got your tonneau?

MadRiver
05-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I ordered my tonneau from Moss -- it came with bright metal snaps and lift the dots for the spot where the tonneau attaches to the dash (in lieu of the original eyelet holes). My original tonneau had a lift the dot on the bottom of the strap -- Moss doesn't provide any extra snaps or lift the dots for the tonneau straps (moreover, they're two snaps short for the entire kit), but thankfully the PO had a whole bag of snaps in black and polished metal, so I think I'll just go with regular snaps.

Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BOXoROCKS
05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Man, glad I read this post. I thought it was an automatic pilot.