PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire mk1 mk2 spitfire clutch conversion ?'s

GeorgiaTriumph
05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Could someone please list the parts that need to be swapped for a mk2 clutch changeover on a mk1. Ive done the fly, 3pc clutch, bearing carrier, and repro slave. Only problem was that it wouldn't work. I had to put the original slave back in and it will work but with about an inch of pedal travel. Very unsatisfactory. Could it be a bad repro slave? Is it worth buying the oem? Thanks for the help.

Andrew Mace
05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Do you know the bore size of the "repro" slave cylinder? It should be 7/8", I think, as opposed to a smaller (again, I think but can't be sure of at the moment) bore for the slave cylinder on the older system. That might be (part of) the problem.

And are you certain that the clutch hydraulics are fully bled? Sometimes it's a pain to do.

billspit
05-04-2006, 11:53 AM
It should work. It is hard to bleed all the air out of the system. I had to remove the slave cylinder and tilt downward at the front to get all the air out. Of course you have to hold the pin in while you bleed it. Also my car was jacked up in the front and may be the reason I had so much trouble. I to put on an aftermarket cast iron slave and it worked fine. I stripped two alloy ones before I got smart and went with cast.

GeorgiaTriumph
05-04-2006, 03:31 PM
We bled it quite a few times with a simple craftsman kit(cup and hoses) and the pump pump squirt method. Also I noticed that the repro cylinders have the bleed nipple on the bottom and you have to switch it to the top. The diameter and part numbers were checked a couple of times (it is a 7/8 cyl). The master never changed between marks, i don't think. Which pin did you hold in? Maybe if i bleed it off of the bellhousing with out it resting on the release lever.

billspit
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
My bad! There is no pin in the slave cylinder. Its mounted to the arm. The bleed screw has to be up. I just rotated the slave around till the bleed screw was up. I also tried a Mitivac and the pump pump version. I still had to remove it from the bell housing to bleed it properly.

GeorgiaTriumph
05-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah mine only has a notch on one side so no turney. I think I'm going to bleed it off of the bellhousing and if all else fails get an oem one. Thanks for the ideas!

P.S. billspit, going to the euro?

billspit
05-05-2006, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. billspit, going to the euro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the relacement for the car show that was at Chateau Elan or the show at BMW in the fall (also called Euro)?

billspit
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Okay My mind must be paying tricks on me, but I was thinking the replacement slave had a groove all the way around it. It could have been mounted any away you wanted.

If I had knwon I was going to turn out like this I mighta done drugs in my yute.