PDA

View Full Version : Who is Rusticus?

Rusticus
04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm also one of the new guys here and I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. My real name is Chris and I live in near Trenton, NJ.
I've been messing around cars, bikes and machinery in general all of my life as my family owned a Tool and Die establishment in Trenton since the 1920s. I would work there when not in school and summers until I was 18. One of my earliest memories was "helping" my dad rebuild the motor in his Jeep CJ5. This happened in a tent on the property while my parents were building their first house. Dad had an AH 100-4 for a few years before I came along and he talked about it alot when I was little. It was traded for the Jeep. I got my first bike in 1976 when I was 13 and I've been having fun with things with motors ever since.
I rode bikes (and drove little 4wd Subarus) through college and grad School. In 1988 a guy owed me some money for some computer work and he conned me in to taking his early MKIV Spitfire (FK40XXL) instead of waiting (maybe forever) for cash. The car was basically a good 1500 engine and drive train encapsulated in rust held together by new paint. Little did I know what was to come. And I don't regret it.
During my bike years, I worked on cars with a friend who owned a series of rusty beater Alfa's, BMWs and even a decent Ferrari 330 GT. Some good times were had. And we didn't die. Nuff' said.
Just before I got married I figured I wouldn't have much time to work on the Spit so I sold it all and picked up a decent TR4A. As it turned out after long I didn't even have much time to drive it with child 1 arriving soon after marriage and child 2 just pretty recently.
But old habits die hard, and late at night I dissapear in the garage and hopefully, soon, the old girl will back on the road.
I know - too much information! But, now you know Rusticus' secret identity. The name Rusticus is a tribute to that first Spitfire that I worked on in Goochland County, VA, near Richmond.
Andy Mace - you may remember me from the TR mailing list when I was a regular poster 1997-2000. I still lurk there, but I haven't re-introduced myself 'cause I went back and read all my old posts - I really flamed some guy in 1998 about haw hard it was to install air conditioning in his TR.
I feel a little embarrassed by it now. I'm older, and my mind is a litttle more open to such things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Glad to meet everybody! Tell me your story. Or not.

Andrew Mace
04-29-2006, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy Mace - you may remember me from the TR mailing list when I was a regular poster 1997-2000. I still lurk there, but I haven't re-introduced myself 'cause I went back and read all my old posts - I really flamed some guy in 1998 about haw hard it was to install air conditioning in his TR.
I feel a little embarrassed by it now. I'm older, and my mind is a litttle more open to such things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ....

[/ QUOTE ]Hi again, Chris! Yes, I do remember. Y'know, I've a feeling that all is forgiven; in fact, I'm pretty sure that the Team.Net statute of limitations has run out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, about trying to track down a genuine "Truimph-Aire" air-conditioning setup for my Herald.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

tomshobby
04-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Chris, it takes some guts to humble oneself to stand up and fess up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I am new here but have seen things on other forums and I like to see people take this route and return rather than just fade away.
So, from this newbie, welcome back!

aeronca65t
04-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Welcome, Chris:

I am another New Jersey resident, living up in the NW part of NJ.
And I lived in Trenton for several years (I graduated from Trenton State......or whatever they call it now).
Don't forget that Britfest is coming up May 6. This is an excellent Brit-car show in Morris County, NJ (pretty close to Moss Motors East).
I usually go but I have a race at Pocono the same day.
Look forward to hearing about your progress on the TR.

TRTEL
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Welcome Chris,
Enjoyed your story and have to admit that the one car that almost kept me from becoming addicted to TR's was the 100-4. The summer of '67 I spent working and saving up to buy my first sportscar was also spent riding the bus and every day it took me past a permanently parked 100-4 painted a gaudy purple. Finally got off the bus and asked about it one day and the guy said sure $350 and I could drag it off. Well reality saved me and early the next spring I bought my '59 and have never regretted it. I think.
Post a pic of your 4A sometime.
Tom Lains
TS8651
TS58107

Brosky
04-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Hello Chris! It's nice to have you here. We've all made mistakes in the past that we're not particularly proud of, but you are man enough to admit it so that's a big step towards not doing it again.
One good thing about this site is we're all a little older now and respect each others knowledge and feelings, so it remains a very helpful and friendly place to be.

4aKen
04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Who needs air conditioning in a TR?

WhatsThatNoise
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I went berserk on some guy that wanted to drop a 289 in his 100-4.

No apology..........I just PM now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Chris, another New Jersian here, Hillsborough to be exact. Welcome to the board.