PDA

View Full Version : new member

tomshobby
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi, I am an old Triumph guy that has not had a driver for many years. My wife, Shirley, and I have recently purchased a 76 TR6 with 44,000 miles and have been working on it so we can enjoy it this summer. I am currently having the valves ground and then we should be ready for some driving. The car is in pretty good condition for a thirty year old car. My web site Tom & Shirley's TR6 (https://www.smithtr6.com) has some pictures and what I have been doing.
I have been looking for a site like this for some time and look forward to making new friends.

jsneddon
04-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Hey Tom! Welcome - glad I could point you in this direction.

And I'm seeing a bunch of other new members here in the last few days. Stand up and introduce yourselves!

tomshobby
04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the heads up on this site. It looks like I will really enjoy being here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Airfix
04-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey Tom,
appreciate it if you could give us some tips on the dash removal, any tricks to make it smoother?
Thanks

tomshobby
04-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi Airfix,
One of the things I found was to go under the hood and disconnect the tach and spedo cables so the dash could pull out further before taking out the tach and spedo. I also took them out first and replaced them last because they made nice access to other things behind the dash.
In case you do not know, the knobs have a small hole so you can push in a wire or small tool to release the catch button ao you can pull them off easily.
Also when replacing the tach and spedo I put the clamps on before putting them in the dash. I had them turned to the side so they did not interfere. After they were in I reached up behind the dash and loosened the nuts and turned them so they would clamp and simply tightened the nuts.
Oh yes, be sure the oil sending line is tight and run the engine for a few minutes to make sure it does not leak. If it does your radio will be well oiled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I know!
This is a good time to check other things behind the dash. Dan Masters has wiring diagrams on the VTR wiki TR6 maintainence page. He has all model years and they are in pdf format so you can orint them out. All color coded to boot!

TR4nut
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Tom-

Welcome to the group, good to see another Wisconsin hobbiest (I consider myself in a very southern Wisconsin location, but still a native Badger). Nice car and website. It think your 64/65 TR4 was pretty close to what my TR4 looked like originally, before the previous owner color change. Either way, a TR6 or TR4, Spit or GT6, or all the others, they are all fun. Welcome!
Randy

jerrybny
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the group Tom

simpzimmer
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Tom, good to have you here. I'm a new owner of a '79 Spit'. I couldn't imagine how much help I have already recieved in the renovation of my car. It sounds like you won't need much advice, though.

allen
04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
hello tom, allen here, newby as well, from the beginning this site has been great.don't have the time to spend on it as i would like,but the short amount of time i have spent on it has been invaluable. the members are very friendly and helpful, hope u like it as much as i do. allen.

Brosky
04-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Nice to have you here Tom. Please visit early and often. Good luck with the TR, too!

ObiRichKanobi
04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Welcome from one of the resident "wedgeheads!"

tomshobby
04-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
I finally again have a car worth washing and now a place to comunicate with others that understand the passion. Life is good!

swift6
04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Welcome Tom, My name is Shawn and I am a Triumph addict err I mean owner. You get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

GB1
04-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Welcome Tom

giff
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Greetings from yet another new member. I've been looking in on this great site for years unofficially... lurking, as it were... but, seeing as how I'm on my third TR3A, and I've had it for about 15 years, I figured it was time to join, and I'm glad I did.

myspitfire
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I too offer Greetings & Salutations;To the new member.This forum is all about the broad spectrum of ALL Triumphs,not exclusive to just one.
Ken & Whitelightning..1980 Spitfire 1500 fully restored/

giff
05-01-2006, 11:01 PM
righto, Ken. My favorite kind of Triumphs: all of 'em. Giff