PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard replacement

simpzimmer
04-28-2006, 06:59 AM
My dashboard is cracked and I've been trying to decide which would be the best option. In VickyBrit. they have dashboard replacements for $180 and then there is a dashboard protector and a dashboard overlay for $50. Has anyone purchased any of these three adn which is the best for the price. I was afraid the overlays would look bad by bubbling or not fitting correctly or something. Any advice?

billspit
04-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Most folks have said the overlays are pretty crappy. I can't even get one for my Spitfire. I would if I could. I'm guessing the $180 unit is a new dash.

DougF
04-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Another option is going to a better lumber store and buying your choice of laminent. More work, but the choices of finish are much greater. Good winter job.

tomshobby
04-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Greg,
I just refinished my dash and it is back in the car. One of the options I was considering was purchasing a piece of veneer and having the original planed before installing it so I could keep the original thickness. My thinking was that I could use a router to cut around the outside and openings and finish by filing and sanding. I found several sources of veneer and even found some on Ebay listed under "wood veneer".
In the end I stripped my original dash and found it better than I thought so I refinished it. I have some before and after pictures plus some discription of how I did it on my web page. Tom & Shirley's TR6 (https://smithtr6.com/welcome.htm) Note that this is just how I did it and I am sure there are better ways out there.

simpzimmer
04-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I was talking about the top of the dash. The vinyl has cracked and VickyBrit sells overlays and protectors. I was just curious if anyone had tried them.
p.s. nice TR6 Tom, I am looking at refinishing my instrument panels also.

Paulus
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
I just replaced my dashpad and did not bother pursuing the resurfacing route. Replacing the whole thing is a fairly easy process and I'm guessing would look and hold up better. I too would be interested in the response on the protectors.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

svtmikey
04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
The previous owner of my GT6 used a dash overlay kit....how can I put this??? I prefer the cracked dash to the overlay...maybe the guy (or gal) did a bad job, but it looked really crappy (hope I can say that). I would replaced it....when I get to that stage of my rebuild that's what I am going to do.
My 2 cents.
Mikey

ichthos
04-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I went to a number of car shows before getting my TR6. The few cars with overlays really looked bad. I know you mentioned that the price of a new dash it almost four times that for a overlay, but there are alternatives. There are a number of people who have some pretty good deals at these British car shows. One guy at the last show (he apparently supplies pieces to Moss and others) had parts with "imperfections". I had to have the guy point it out for me each time because I couldn't ever find them. I ended up buying a dash for less than an overlay. You may also want to check Ebay. Many times they also have good deals for the price you can generally pick up an overlay for. And just my opinion;it takes more time to do it right, but I think you will be a lot more happy with the end result. Personaly, the overlays just look plain bad.
Kevin

MDCanaday
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
On my old spit, I went to great lengths to install an overlay "right" It wound up looking OK for the price, but first cold day that winter it split open bigtime.....back to square 1.I doubt if the retailer you get one from will make a difference in the plastic, they all are likely from the same hut in India......
MD(mad dog)

Tomster
05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I am in the process of re doing mine in a similar fashion to the way Tomshobby (No relation, I'm more like Tomsexpense) has described. I found that someone had tried to hand paint the woodgrain back in over some damaged areas.
I am wondering if anyonehas replaced their black dashpad?
I have a small edge crack in mine that I am attempting to fill and seal using "Liquid Tape"

tomshobby
05-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Tomster, funny how close the names are! Funnier yet is that I have some friends that came from your area!
The dash crack - When I did gun stocks, especially birdseye maple, I used to have to deal with chips and cracks in the wood. Highly figured wood often has cracks or flaws in the wood. One trick I used was to fill the flaw with clear epoxy and sand it to the level of the wood before finishing it. On the birdseyes you could not tell the difference between the ones that chipped out and the ones that did not.

DougF
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
On the dash pad, fit it first. Make sure the overlap to the front has the holes punched and they line up. I'm assuming a Spitfire fits up similar to the TR6.
My first time around, I used contact cement, which worked great, but only allows you one chance. There are other glues that allow a little bit of work time. I have heard good things about gorilla glue but personally am not familiar with it. You do want to use a glue that has a fairly high temp rating.
The windshield and dashboard must be removed for proper fit.
Good winter project.