PDA

View Full Version : Brake and clutch bleeders

MarkT
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a set of Speed Bleeders on my 1976 TR6. The question is, what are the thread dimensions for both the brake (front & rear) and clutch bleeders? I am assuming that as the TR is a '76, these will be the metric and not imperial. Anyone put these on a late-model 6?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

MadRiver
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I just installed SpeedBleeders on the brakes of my TR-250 last weekend. Given that my car was build before the metric change-over, I can't answer your question directly, but allow me to pass along a couple issues I discovered when bleeding the brakes using Speedbleeders. Let me say at the outset that I think it's a great product, and works exactly as advertised. Never had such an easy time bleeding my brakes, and was able to do it by myself. Brilliant little things and they appear well-made.

One thing to note when reading my story is that at least for the standard thread size, Speedbleed makes two lenghts, just like the standard bleeders that came with our cars. I ordered shorter ones for the rear, and longer ones for the calipers. The shorter ones had a short shaft, but a relatively tall nipple above the flats where you'd put a wrench. The longer one had a long shaft, but a very short nipple above the wrench flats.

First, Speedbleeders have a coating on the threads to ensure no air/fluid leakage, including when you're opening the bleeders a quarter turn to pump fluid out of them. I found that the coating made the bleeders rather tough to screw in when compared with my original bleeder screws, which were the originals (which never leaked). I felt that I had to use a lot more force to screw them in because of this coating than I was used to on traditional bleeder screws. I am certain the threads were lined up properly and were the right size -- it was clear that the coating was being extruded up through the threads. Interestingly, I started with a set of four of the shorter bleed screws, but these were almost impossible to get into the calipers up front. They went in ok in the back. The shorter ones used a grey coating on the threads. Indeed, I had thought I had them screwed all the way in up front and went to bleed the back, and fluid leaked out of the two screws in the calipers up front.

This caused me to remove the two shorter Speedbleeders installed up front, and replace them with a longer item. As noted above, Speedbleeder offers two lengths of Speedbleeder for regular threatds. The longer speedbleeders used a red coating on the threads that went into the calipers much much easier, and were easy to get in nice and snug.

Now for the other downside. Remember that the overall height of the nipple above the wrench flats on the longer Speedbleeders that I used on my calipers was shorter (go figure) than the ones I used on the back. The result was that a rubber hose would not stay on the nipple itself on the longer Speedbleed. There just wasn't enough to keep the hose on when I pushed the pedal. Moron that I am, I ended up finding this out the hard way -- I pushed the pedal and the hose came off the front Speedbleed and shot fluid out all over my suspension. However, this was easily remedied by putting the hose back on the Speedbleed, taking a trash bag twist-tie and twisting it around what little purchase there was. Once I did this, the hose stayed on nice and tight and it took about ten seconds to bleed the brakes.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense!

So, with a couple of small hiccups, they worked as advertised and made the operation a snap! I found that I still had some air or moisture trapped in the rear lines the next day, and all I had to do was back off the back Speedbleeds (one at a time, of course), pump the pedal four times, and then tighten it up. Couldn't have been easier. It is *so* easy that you have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the resevoir, especially the part for the rear brakes.

Enjoy!

TR4nut
04-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I've gleaned this information from another Triumph list, so do not have direct knowledge - so use it at your own risk, or please try to verify:

Clutch 7/16th inch x 20 - SB71620

Front brakes (pre 1971 - imperial) 3/8th inch x 24 - SB3824
Front brakes (post 1971 - metric) 10 mm x 1.0 - SB1010
(there are several SBs in this size, this is the model recommended by Speedbleeders)
Rear brakes (all years) 3/8th inch x 24 - SB3824

Note metric apparently is for front calipers only, rear would still be imperial.

Hope it helps,
Randy

TR4nut
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
And I posted my last note before I saw Bill's, so maybe he can confirm part numbers..

Randy

MarkT
04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Bill & Randy -

Thanks guys, that's exactly the info I'm after. Bill, the info on bleeding the front set makes perfect sense!

Cheers,
Mark

MadRiver
04-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi guys -- I confirm Randy's numbers. I used SB3824 in the back, and SB3824L in the front. If you look here Click me! (https://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm) you can see that the SB3824L has a longer body, but a shorter nipple than the SB3824. The rubber hose pops right off the nipple on the SB3824L.

Ok, there was no way to write that without sounding dirty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dklawson
04-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I have a bleed hose with a check valve in it. I put a small amount of silicone grease on the threads of the standard nipples to seal them when using my bleed hose. That works the same way as the SpeedBleeders. I've used this for years and it is great. If I didn't already have the special hose, I'd buy the speed bleeders for both my Triumph and the Mini.

Regarding the hose popping off the bleed nipple, the fix I use to prevent that is to cut off a short piece of a slightly larger diameter piece of tubing/hose and slip it over the end of the bleed hose to act like a giant rubber band to squish it tight on the nipple. This has worked very well for me over the years.

Rusticus
04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
I was think of getting a set of these. Did folks get'em direct from Speed Bleeder or are they available from TRF, VB, Moss. I seem to remember them in the VB cat years ago, but not lately....

MadRiver
04-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Rusticus -- I ordered them directly from Speed Bleeder. They came very quickly!

Doug -- I, um, er, could have thought of that, but, er, um, er, well, um, uh, I, um, didn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dklawson
04-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I have recently seen assorted sizes of SpeedBleeders in the over-the-counter section of replacement parts at my local Advance Auto. The lengths might not be as mentioned above, but if nothing else, you'll be able to look at the design.