PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 not shifting into gear

ichthos
04-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Hello,
I was getting ready for my first test drive tonight. The only problem is I can't shift it into gear. The transmission shifts into all gear while the engine is off. I can force it into reverse while running, but not any of the other gears. That makes me think there is something wrong with my clutch. I rebuilt the clutch, including putting in a new slave cylinder and clutch fork pin. I didn't replace the clutch master cylinder, but I did put in a rebuild kit. My clutch pedal is spongy. I bled the system once - did I just do a bad job at bleeding the system? Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin

vettedog72
04-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Kevin:
You may have not finished the bleed process. Some times it takes several times to get all the air out. On the other hand, you stated the reverse engages; does that occur with out grinding hamburger of what? Will any other gears engage without the motor running?

Banjo
04-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Yours and Vettedogs supposition is probably right. The hydraulic clutch system can be trickey to bleed.
One little trick that I've found to help is to disconnect the clutch rod from the arm on the tranny, crack the bleeder and gently push the rod all the way in. Then your assistant can gently push the clutch pedal down, and then tighten the bleeder. Now you can let everything come back to "rest". It may take a few times, allowing the system to rest in between for a few minutes. Keep a close watch on the master reservoir as it drains quickly and if it goes dry your back to square one.
Also make sure you have the rod attached to the lever on the tranny in the MIDDLE hole.
Good luck

DougF
04-27-2006, 07:05 AM
The part that baffles me is that you can get it into reverse. That is the toughest gear to hit with a bad clutch. Did you make sure to put your reverse operating lever into position before dropping the shift cap into position?