PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Date Coding

ktemkin
04-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know how to interpret Lucas date codes?

I've got a generator with the following markings on it:

22265E 9 60

C39PV/2 DA 41 12V

I believe the C39PV/2 is the generator model number and the 22265E is the generator part number.

The 12V is self-explanitory.

But what about the 9 and the 60 and the DA 41? Does these contain a date code?

Thanks.

Andrew Mace
04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
The 9 60 indicates a generator from September 1960. DA 41 I'm not sure about, and even my Lucas 400E Master Catalogue does not tell me about that part of the code, except that it is a "type" of generator as opposed to a model (which is the C39PV/2*). But I can tell you that this likely is (or was?) a generator with the mechanical tach drive fittings on the back, and it originally was found in some Allard K2 and Palm Beach models, Elva Courier with BMC 1500 engine, some MG-TD and TF models and the early Austin-Healey Sprite.

*C39PV/2 refers to a C --concentrically mounted armature wityh 3.9" diameter yoke, P -- voltage control, 2-pole, long yoke type, and V -- ventilated.

Simon TR4a
04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Andy, you deserve a prize for that answer!
Rarely do any of us give such detailed, accurate and concise information AND quote the source it came from!
Well done, Simon.

ktemkin
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Thank you guys very much.

I should have guessed that the date coding was so trivial.

Andrew Mace
04-26-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy, you deserve a prize for that answer!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks! Guess it's the librarian in me as much as the enthusiast in me. I've spent many years accumulating reference sources; what good are those sources if I can't share the information?

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I should note that these generators with provision for the mechanical tach drive are not all that easy to come by and often seem to command fairly good prices.

As for "trivial" date codes, there are those of us perhaps overly obsessed with originality who like having "proper" date coded components (my Herald has its original generator back on the car after a rebuild two years ago, and I need to get the original starter repaired as well. Darned originals only went about 40 years before needing attention). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

carello
04-26-2006, 01:38 PM
My personal experience, i find prior to 1968 Lucas did month year. Then in 1968+ changed to week year. Maybe someone can elaborate on this?
9 60
42 68

carello