PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 78 Spit - Correct engine/suspension paint?

AustinJim
04-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been looking for the correct paint to use when restoring this car. As I take parts off to replace or repair them I'd like to clean and repaint them before reinstalling. I can't seem to find any paint that has the correct amount of gloss to match what's left of the original. The high temp paint I've found so far is too flat and the gloss is too glossy. I'm currently swapping the transmission and would like to repaint the case and bellhousing but I'm also looking for correct paint for all of the under hood stuff. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

billspit
04-26-2006, 08:21 AM
At one time Ditzler (now PPG) made a black primer that was an excellent chassis/suspension paint. Not sure how glossy it was though. Maybe someone else remembers. I just used PPG's Deltron paint with Delthane hardener.

myspitfire
04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't paint the transmission case its aluminum for one reason it keeps the internals cool,aluminum disipates heat.If you paint it it locks in the internal heat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
Ken

Andrew Mace
04-27-2006, 08:55 AM
That's not a worry on a Spitfire, where the cases are cast iron, as are the bellhousings. Some early Spitfires did have alloy bellhousings, but that's about it.

AustinJim
04-27-2006, 12:20 PM
On mine, the main housing and bell housing are definately cast iron and painted. The tailpiece looks like it's magnesium or something similar and it's not painted.