PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Transmission noise when clutch engaged.

Paulus
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi,
I have a noise coming from what I believe is the clutch assembly, possibly the clutch throw out bearing. When the clutch pedal is depressed the noise is gone.
What I am thinking is that it is from the bearing not completly disengaging from the pressure plate and may just need adjustment or something! Anyone else experienced this or can throw some light on the issue?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

DougF
04-25-2006, 07:27 AM
How old is the clutch and what brand. The bearing shoudn't make noise if it isn't disengaging. It could be a improperly installed bearing or a bad one depending on your answers to the above questions.
If it has just started making noise, chances are yopu are looking at a new clutch.

SpannerMan
04-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Might you just be hearing the transmission turning over in neutral? In my experience, even a newly rebuilt transmission (TR6) will be fairly audible- a sort of rumbling noise. Pete

Paulus
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Clutch was totally rebuilt and all items replaced as a matter of course. Pete, Spannerman, may be correct. The noise is a low rumble, I'll see if I can narrow down where it is coming from in the gearbox housing.
Paulus

skikir
04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Sounds like the trans input shaft bearing. They seem to be noisy. Try reving it up in neutral, put the clutch in and kill the engine. I think you should be able to hear the bearing as the clutch plate spins down. Mine have been noisy for some time but they are prety massive ball bearing berings.

Brosky
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Did you install a Gunst T/O bearing by any chance?

Paulus
04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll try letting it run down with the engine off, I'm behind schedule and it is still up on jacks. Just wondering if changing from a fiberboard Transmission cover to an ABF cover has just amplified the noise, sort of an echo chamber? Sounds crazy but who knows, maybe I've just inhaled a few too many fumes?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/troll.gif

04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you install a Gunst T/O bearing by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't tell me they are having problems with the Gunst setup, I just order the whole shebang from TRF. Of course, I have plenty of time to think about it, if you know what I mean.

Bill