PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Brake Shoes

jflynn
04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
My 59 TR3a has 10 inch rear brakes shoes but NO shoe hold downs. There is a "steady post" with a felt bushing but no
provision in the backing plate for hold downs. All the catalogs and the factory manual show hold downs for the shoes. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Jim

sp53
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Yes that is the way the 10 inch brakes are. You are probably seeing pictures of 9 inch brakes in the books. I have driven a 1958 tr3 with 10 inch brakes 100k+ with no hold downs and everything is fine. The brake shoes will hug the backing plate just fine. I know it looks kinda weird to not have the hold downs and the first time I worked on the 10 brakes back in the 70s I thought that something was wrong also. Just make sure you install the shoe spring right way around. By this I mean, the springs go behind the shoes that way when they pull together they also pull the shoes back to the plate and that holds them down.

sp53

Camping57
04-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree,
I have the 10 inch drums and they are exactly as described. If you get the springs in correctly on the inside of the shoes (advice: put both springs in place in the shoes with them sitting on your bench and then pick up that whole group and locate it onto the backing plate. Then you can pull and lever the shoes into place on the pivot block and cylinder.). They stay in place fine.

Dick

Geo Hahn
04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Hmmm.... I have 10" drums and the shoes are secured by a post thingy -- item 56 in this pic:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29147

Seems likely things would stay put w/o this post, indeed one of mine has been missing since I got the car.

sp53
04-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Geo I think what we are taking about is part number 60. It is simply a threaded post with a felt tip. In addition, if one chose (with this option) they could tilt the brake out by extending the peg. After I looked at the picture more closely, it looks like it might have come both ways. However, I consider the peg a highly prized, rare, and valuable dealer option, notice the NLA.
sp53

jflynn
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all of your imput. I feel better knowing that my brake set-up is normal after all. Thanks again.