PDA

View Full Version : Clinking sound from the rear end!

MadRiver
04-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Howdy all! I drove my 250 to work today with the top down. Everything was fine, except sometimes I could hear a clinking sound when starting off from a light as I took my foot off the clutch and went into first. It only happened if I pulled off the clutch quickly (which I usually don't do). It sounded like a definitive metal "clink" -- not loud or violent. Any thoughts from the collective wisdom?

Thanks!

LastDeadLast
04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Any of the following:

1. diff mounts cracked or worn rubber mount - probably not, this is usually a pretty loud clunk
2. loose shock - could be
3. the dreaded u-joint - could be
4. worn axle - could be
5. worn diff - this is usually pretty loud as well.

If you shift hard between 1st and 2nd, do you hear it then too? How about if you let off the gas abruptly?

MadRiver
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks Shannon! It's definately a metal to metal "clink". Loud enough to hear it, but not a loud "clunk" or "thump." I haven't heard it shifing from 1st to 2nd. I'll have to test whether I hear it when I take my foot off the gas tonight on the way home.

Trevor Triumph
04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd go with a u-joint too. Although one time I was hearing a soft metallic soune as I drove. I found that the bolts that hold the axle to differential had backed out a bit. T.T.

Paul Johnson
04-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Mine makes a clicking sound that can be heard while driving
next to something that reflects the sound. I know it is not the wheels, brakes, ujoints, diff mounts, shocks, as they've all been replaced or rebuilt. Figure it's probably the pads moving around in the caliper, and don't worry about it any more after about 25,000 miles.

4aNot4
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
If you have not greased the sliding IRS axles regularly, then they may have worn and what you hear is them "clinking" as they take up the drive. I think you could jack up the car and try rotating the wheel back and forth, and see if you can sense play in the axles. The definitive test of the axles would be to unbolt them at the differential and try rotating the axles back and forth by hand; any play will be evident. If there is play, then you might get away with lubing the sliding shaft joints with a good moly grease. If not, new ones are available...

Andy Blackley
04-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Re: The axles. Mine clunk. I replaced the originals with the best used ones I could find, which hardly moved at all by hand after a good cleaning and greasing. New ujoints, boots, etc. However, the amount of torque, rapidly applied, still accentuates the little play that there is.
And of course the diff itself it prone to clunking in its old age.
I have read elsewhere that the splines are very hard and will last almost forever in street use. As will the differential. They will just be annoying that long too....

04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
You guys need some really loud mufflers so you won't be hearing all those little noises.

Bill

barringtonpro
04-28-2006, 10:55 AM
if you have spokes replace the wheel and stub. It solved my clicking noise. I tested this first by swiching the wheels around, it gave me different clicking sounds.

Frank tr4a/6

jeff3113
04-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Make sure you remove those pesky road stones from the wheel rings.

SpannerMan
04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Re: front brake pads rattling- me too, pretty easy to narrow down by lightly touching the brakes. I only hear it when I drive past something.

As far as backlash in the prop/diff/axles, I also have a little bit everywhere I think - esp. the diff and the sliding joints. I look at it as 'character', and for my use of the car I just shift gently and look at it as respecting the car's age; getting on the throttle between shifts is fine though. Depends what you are going for though. I did have a u-joint break up once - the needles dried out and it disintegrated, a metallic squeak/clunk as you mentioned. It could also be, as I think someone else said, worn out wheel splines/adapters if you have wires.

Happy driving... gonna drive my TR6 home from work in a minute... weather looks good!

Pete

MadRiver
04-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys -- I'm going to get underneath and lubricate everything just to make sure. Car currently still has steel wheels and Rostyle hubcaps (which of course produce a robust and varied cacophony all their own). Given the car is as old as I am, I also try to show respect for our mutual age -- I'm not all that fast off the line anymore either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm also taking him to the shop to look at those aged bushings (another thing the car and I share) and have most of them replaced soon, so I'll have the guys at Motorhead look for the "clink." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DougF
04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Are you sure somebody didn't tie bells to your belt loop?

MadRiver
04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure somebody didn't tie bells to your belt loop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't be the first time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif