PDA

View Full Version : seat belt repair

ichthos
04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Hello,
Still more questions. I have the original seat belts for my 69 TR6. One of the clips that attach the buckle half on the passenger side to the floor was rusted, and the small spring was missing. I decided that before I cut the stitching and remove the metal clip, I would try and find a shop that would resew it. I have tried three shops so far. None of them will resew it due to liability. Does anyone know of someone who would do this? More importantly, am I foolish to be using a belt that is so old in my car to begin with? The material looks sound, but I don't know what they would really do if they were put in stress during an accident.
Kevin

DougF
04-23-2006, 11:14 AM
For safety purposes, it is best to purchase new belts. The strapping and stitching lose strength over the years and should be replaced. There are several suppliers of new belts, from reproduction to racing. It's all a matter of preference.

Bugeye58
04-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Even with racing belts, we are required to change them every two years for those belts with SFI ratings.
Jeff

04-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Kevin,
You would be better of riding without belts if you think that 37-year-old webbing is portecting you. Buy new belts and be done with it.

Bill

PeterK
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I've had luck getting good install hardware from these guys. They sell decent looking belts and do custom work; they might even reweb your existing hardware?
https://www.seatbeltpros.com/