PDA

View Full Version : my header design info

trfourtune
04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I made a request from "headers by ed" for my tr4. 2289cc,10:1 comp, 40mm dellortos, 6000rpm max, 290 cam, through mufflers, for "flexibility" instead of max hp.
answer: 36"lg,1.5" primaries-equal length +- 1/16".
Collector per his design 6"lg outlet 2 1/2"-see his web site for collectors (his are 5" lg.)he says this design is important.
2 1/2" muffler(s).
make connecting pipe from header to muffler 2 1/2" but removeable to try smaller pipes (i think 2 1/2" may be too large- 2 1/4" may turn out to be better)
he says that headers with mufflers are NOT the same as headers without mufflers. this guy has been designing & building headers for 40 yrs whith a lot of dyno feedback. that's a lot of headers. i'll give it a go. now to make an accurate jig for my chop saw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif
tgif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF
rob

Simon TR4a
04-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Very interested to hear how this works out!
No chance of before and after dyno tests, I suppose?

Just between you and me, Rob, I love the idea of building a Fergie motor that will "kick sand in the face" of all these TR6s. Ooops, did I say that on a public forum?
Simon.

bobh
04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Smacks of Canadian jealousy eh?

LastDeadLast
04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
How about displacement envy?

bobh
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh My!

Classic Motorsports had an article about their TR3 race car. It included a formula for header design. I'll try to find it this weekend. We can see how it compares to Mister Ed's design.

trfourtune
04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
hey,
i read that article and it agrees with the 1.5" primaries also, so does "headerdesign.com", and so does "ed". if three agree, i must be on the right path, or something.
rob

trfourtune
04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smacks of Canadian jealousy eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
jealous of who? i'm sorry but i don't get it! who would i be jealous of? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
rob

hondo402000
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
hey I got a 007 TR6 it wont throw sand in your face but the oil spray will kill you haha

4aKen
04-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Neither jealousy nor envy have I.

Simon TR4a
04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought that might get a rise out of someone!
Perhaps I should try baiting the TR8 guys.....
Actually, having owned a TR6 in the past, I do miss the sound, but prefer the looks and handling of the 4 cylinder cars. Not much difference in performance, in my opinion.
Simon.

swift6
04-22-2006, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that might get a rise out of someone!
Perhaps I should try baiting the TR8 guys.....
Actually, having owned a TR6 in the past, I do miss the sound, but prefer the looks and handling of the 4 cylinder cars. Not much difference in performance, in my opinion.
Simon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I qualify as a bait-ee on both counts if you go after TR8 guys as well. However, if you compare a stock TR6 to the TR3-4's 4 cylinder, your right. There isn't much performance difference. Maybe more torque in the 6 but the car is a little heavier so it eliminates any advantage that might have gained. Probably why there are so many modified TR6's rearing their heads. Even getting them to match European power specs turns the car into a whole different animal where the performance really does exceed the 4 cylinder cars.

We TR6 owners are just trying to get the cars back to where they were designed to be. As an improvement in power over the earlier TR's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TR8's are a whole different class of car. Don't go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif