PDA

View Full Version : Wedge 1980 TR8 for Sale

Bugeye58
04-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Just saw this on our Waterford Hills website.

https://www.waterfordhills.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5543&highlight=

Jeff

Mickey Richaud
04-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Somebody's gonna get a deal there...

Mickey

simpzimmer
04-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Are these things as expensive to maintain as I've heard?

Mickey Richaud
04-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I'll let you know when I finish restoring mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Seriously, though, not any more so than any other LBC. Only problem I've encountered is that some parts aren't as readily available as they should be. Having driven mine a bit before I started the restoration, I can tell you that they are way under-rated. Can't wait to get mine done!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

04-21-2006, 08:12 AM
A well tuned TR8 will outperform most "modern" sporty cars of today. Driving one can be exhilerating. Press the go-button and they will take off in a hurry. The strange part is you sit so darn low down in that baby. I rented a new Mustang recently and it was no comparison to the TR8. Of course the Mustang was not the fire breather version but had plenty pep. Plus, the TR8 styling is really quite current. Wouldn't mind having one at all.

Bill

Alan_Myers
04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi,

<u>Hmmm. I notice the original "for sale" posting is date March 15, 2002. Think it's already sold? </u>

Whoops! My bad... you are correct Alan.

Would love to pick up an "8" sometime!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Actually if you go back you'll see the post date is Apr 20 2006. You saw the guys "joined date".

If he were closer to me, and its in good condition I'd be thinking about writing a check. As it is he's too far away, which is handy because divorces are expensive...

Cheapsnake
04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
This looks like a pretty decent deal and if you're looking for a little rocket you might want to check it out. I've had mine for two years now and after doing a few common sense things like dumping the Strombergs for an Edelbrock and getting rid of a lot of Lucas, it's been a very reliable and low maintenance ride.

What's really great is pulling up to a light and drivers smile politely at your cute little roadster that's supposed to have a 4-banger. Hit the go-pedal a shot and they have a whole new attitude.

4aKen
04-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Three TR8's currently on ebay.

Mickey Richaud
04-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Saw 'em - all gold! What're the odds of THAT?

Mickey

AngliaGT
04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I see Sam's got his on there.

- Doug

DNK
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Is it a convertable?

Alan_Myers
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it a convertable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup... all three gold ones on eBay are! There is also a green one that's convertible (and is described as having done only 19,000 miles). Only the one here in the Forum classifieds is a coupe with the vinyl sunroof.

$*#)$! I gotta stop looking at these or I might end up buying one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Alan_Myers
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saw 'em - all gold! What're the odds of THAT?

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno... there were 2500 or so TR8s made and I bet gold was a popular color.

Recently there were three auctions for Konica Hexanon 1000mm f8 lenses. (OT, I know... but what can I say... I like old cameras as well as old cars!)

Considering that only 10 of these lenses... which sold new for close to the price of a car... were ever sold worldwide, think about those odds! Two auctions were legitimate (I know the dealers): one in the U.S., the other in Germany. The third was almost certainly a fraud (in China, if I recall correctly) and obvious because it copied photos and text from one of the others, plus the seller had little or no feedback. Thankfully this third auction was deleted by eBay before anyone got stung.

philman
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
i think old cars and old cameras go together, I have to koni omega medium format cameras, an old kodak retina, an old cannon, and an old german camera. all rangefinder cameras.

skikir
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I had an Kodak Retina in absolutly mint condition with extra tele and wide lenses. Sold it on ebay for $400+. I wish I had another one to sell I need new seat covers.

sammyb
04-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Yup...one of those three is mine. Finally decided that I want it to go to someone who will use it more. When I put it up, I didn't realize there were two other Midas Gold TR8s up there (posted an within an hour before mine.)

The fact that one has some rust, and the other is asking $12,000 should help mine. There are already 100 people "watching" the auction on their watch lists.

You have to actually do a lot of performance mods to make the TR8 competitive with many modern four-bangers. The gearing is very slow, so the as-new 0-60 ranged from 8.2 to 8.6 seconds, depending on magazine. In comparison, my Toyota Avalon is 6.4, and my 1986 Dodge convertible (2.2L turbo) is 7.4.

Mine has a four barrel, and is a little faster, but it sounds and feels faster than it really is. It's fast by 1980 standards, but not by modern standards.