PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A tr3a carpet kit snaps

PeterK
04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Can anyone help with the location of the 16 snaps that come with the Moss carpet kits? I still have 3 snaps on either side of the tunnel cover (#5) but don't know where the other snap go...and which pieces are glued? Thanks for the help. Peter

Don Elliott
04-20-2006, 09:34 AM
On a TR3A, you have 4 snaps (2 on each side) for the carpet that covers the tunnel. The carpets under the seats are held down by the seat tracks. Just in front of these floor carpets, there should be 2 male snaps on each side for the original black rubber mats that came with the car when it left the factory. If you are planning to put carpets in the footwell floors now, this will make 4 more snaps. Better ask Moss for more details. The carpet on the driver's side wall left is held in place by the screws up the "A" post and the dimmer switch bracket. The upper parts as well as the one on the RHS are held up there with dabs of contact cement. The hooped one under the battery box above the gearbox tunnel is contact glued as well. On mine (TS 27489 LO), I glued velcro to the floor in the rear of the seats to hold the odd shaped piece down and to permit me to remove it if I want to. Oh yes, I put carpet underlay under all the floor carpets and if I'm in a sudden rainstorm, I remove the seats, tracks, carpets, underlay etc, when I get home to let it all dry out. After 87,000 miles in 16 years, there is still no rust anywhere.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127

PSUTR3B
04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I installed a TRF carpet set and used carpet snaps along the transmission tunnel and on the floor of the footwell. The male part of the snap should already be installed. I also used velcro to install the carpet on the sidewalls on both sides as well as the carpet over the rear part of the transmission tunnel and the carpet over the rear shelf and the going down to the floorboards. Velcro was an easy installation which also permits easy removal.

Bill
04-21-2006, 06:13 AM
What did you use to haol the Velcro in place?

PeterK
04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
The sidewalls on my 3A are vinyl covered panels that match the rest of the interior hard pieces. The driver side has a square cutout about a foot square around the high-beam switch and the passenger side is solid, covering the speaker hole? It looks original as all panels match in covering and backing board materials.

Is this unusual? Anybody else have these panels or are most carpeted?

Don Elliott
04-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I've never seen anything but carpet here. It should have been in your new carpet kit. Ask Moss.

PeterK
04-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks Don for all the info. The carpet kit has the pieces but I think I like the look of the hard panels a bit more. Peter

PSUTR3B
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Bill,
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. The velcro was self- adhesive. The stickem on the back was and has been good enough to keep it in place for the two years since I finished.