PDA

View Full Version : Torking Alloy Wheels

JFS
04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I have KN alloy knock off wheels. The splined hubs are chromed steel attached to the alloy wheels with five 3/8" X 2" fine thread bolts secured with chromed acorn nuts. I think the bolts are grade 8 but they have no head markings, but the hex head has a circle in the middle like the end of a stud flush with the end of a nut. Torque charts indicate a grade 8 bolt can be torqued to 49 ft. lbs and a grade 5 bolt can be torqued to 35 ft. lbs. Will the alloy wheel allow these torques? 35 ft. lbs. felt like plenty with the torque wrench.

kaz2be
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I don’t know about knok off’s but non british modern car wheels use torque between 85-110 ft.lbs

PeterK
04-19-2006, 08:58 PM
My Audi alloys spec at 89-90lbs but on my bolt-on KNs on th 3A, I go around 50lbs.

Tosh
04-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Try this site. It may help answer your question.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Keep on'

piman
04-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Hello all,

"modern car wheels use torque between 85-110 ft.lbs"

"My Audi alloys spec at 89-90lbs",

What sort of spanner does the tool kit have for a roadside puncture if the nuts are that tight?
Also the original post quotes 3\8" diameter, most wheel studs\bolts are much bigger.

Alec

vettedog72
04-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Shoot a picture of the wheels, they sound better than minilights.

JFS
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
This is my first attempt at attaching a picture; I'm having difficulty getting the image down to 120k and then sending it.

Rusticus
04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi JFS, (my first post here) most of the figures people are talking about here are for lug nuts - But I guess you're talking about attaching the spline centers to the alloy wheel? Did the wheels come unassembled or something?
Since they're not really lug nuts, I would try to contact the manufacturer (or perhaps the distributer) for a real spec. You don't wanna ruin you wheels, eh?
I have the bolt-on version of the K&Ns on my 4A. I torque 'em to 55ft/lbs. with torque wrench. No problems so far. (7 yrs.)

Rusticus
66 Tr4A IRS
74 Norton Commando 850

JFS
04-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum,Rusticus! I've had these wheels for about 12 years. I spun a hub on one last year and emailed the manufacturer for a new hub but received no reply. The big 3 vendors in the states would only sell me a complete wheel. I finally got a replacement hub from Racetorations. I took them apart this spring to get new tires mounted and balanced. Maybe Racetorations can get me the torques.

04-21-2006, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What sort of spanner does the tool kit have for a roadside puncture if the nuts are that tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most don't, they give you a stubby little wrench. If you take your car to a shop most places use even more torque on their impact wrenches unless you yell at them not to. Thats why every one of my cars has an aftermarket breaker bar with the proper sized 6 point socket on it in the trunk. In my wifes Jeep I've even given her a slide on extension bar for it.

I just rotated tires on the Subaru and Jeep this past weekend. 85 ft-lbs all around.