PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Quality

jerrybny
04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Has anyone bought a bumper from Moss or VB? I'm wondering how the quality is. Are they as thick as the original or are they an imported piece of crap. My front bumper isn't in the best of shape and there doesn't seem to be any rechromeers aroung this part of NY.javascript:void(0)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
There is one in Westchester - does real nice work. Not cheap though. I can get you the name if you feel like a drive down.

jerrybny
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I would appreciate that Alan. Thanks

04-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Sorry - its in NJ, thought it was in NY.
The guys name is Flavio.

All Bright Metal Finishers
39 Avenue A
Newark, NJ 07114
(973) 648-8740

He did the chromework for a guy I know who lives a few miles down the road from me who's doing a total resto on a TR6 he bought as a basket case.

Cost was about the same as new from one of the big 3. They look really nice though. If I ever need rechroming mine are going there, no question.

nfi, ymmv, and I never met the guy, you understand. I just saw his work.

trfourtune
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
quality chrome work does cost money. all scratches,bumps,etc must be repaired and polished out. there MUST be a copper layer electroplated.check with any plater what HIS process is and the thicknesses of the plating layers involved. plating is just like body work but even more work because you cannot use filler to do any repairs other than metal and welding,grinding,polishing. what ever shows in the base metal shows in the surface. do some homework. sometimes the "cheap" new parts skimp on the process. thats why they peel or rust in time.
rob

TR4
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I bought new bumpers from TRF and was surprised that they were made in the US. I was very happy with the quality. They seemed to be the same as what was on my car which I believe were original but can't guarantee.

PSUTR3B
04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I bought a bumper for my TR3B from TRF and was also very satisfied. The quality was good and it also fit well.

simpzimmer
04-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Is your bumper chrome? I'm just repainting my black bumper for about $10.